Thread: Desktop Effects errors with Nvidia (Karmic Beta)

Beans

Desktop Effects errors with Nvidia (Karmic Beta)

I'm using an Nvidia AGP card (GeForce FX 5700 LE) in Ubuntu Karmic Beta with the accelerated graphics drivers version 173. I have 2 displays, with Xinerama enabled. When I go to enable any visual effects past "None," I get a popup error saying "The Composite extension is not available." I rebooted, and it went to all kernel error gibberish which I unfortunately didn't write down. I restarted in recovery mode, set the visual effects back to none, and it was fine, and now if I try to re-enable visual effects, it gives me the "composite extension" error but appears to retain the checkbox (Normal or Extra). When I reboot it's back to "None."

What output would be helpful for diagnosing this problem?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Re: Desktop Effects errors with Nvidia (Karmic Beta)

If you haven't already, I recomend grabbing the NVIDIA drivers off the NVIDA website. They simply work a bit better then the ones thrown at you by the restricted drivers manager.

Beans

Re: Desktop Effects errors with Nvidia (Karmic Beta)

Quote Originally Posted by Bit101 View Post
    If you haven't already, I recomend grabbing the NVIDIA drivers off the NVIDA website. They simply work a bit better then the ones thrown at you by the restricted drivers manager.
    I didn't even know nvidia had linux drivers, I'll try that, thanks!