Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Can Karmic be installed from USB?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Can Karmic be installed from USB?

Quote Originally Posted by aysiu View Post
    I have no CD/DVD-ROM on my HP Mini netbook and was able to load Karmic on via USB.

Which drivers does it complain about?
    It's looking for CD-ROM modules.

G

Updated: I checked ALT-F4 using the above and noticed that there's and error message about failure to load the i82365 module. Maybe that's the problem

Updated(2): After playing around with options, I found that if I use the "command line install" (not default or install options), I can do a netinstall with the DVD image. Which is a bit silly considering everything that's downloaded is supposedly already on/in the ISO image.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by gmc; October 6th, 2009 at 09:43 AM. Reason: Additional Information
    ASUS UL20A, 128GB Falcon II SSD, 4GB RAM, Ubuntu 10.04b

Beans

Hi,

I too have had problems with unetbootin and Karmic but I think it is hardward related. The karmic image on my usb stick works with most PC's but doesn't doesn't like my Acer Revo Nettop and fails to boot saying media not bootable or words to that affect (I tested with other distros and those worked e.g ubuntu 9.04).

I then tried to create a USB bootable image from another of my Ubuntu desktop machines. With this method I am able to boot Karmic from USB on the Revo but later fails to load the desktop and remain at a commandline. Running the command startx doesn't help... (I don't remember the messages that appear on screen). I tried this with the last few Alpha's and now the Beta without successfully starting up the Desktop screen.

Beans

I dunno...I just used a PC to install Ubuntu straight onto a SD Card with no usb booting software or anything. Just did a straight, normal install like I would do on any computer, only directly on a USB device. If you have a PC, do that. It boots perfectly and can be used in any computer that boots USB devices. I've tested it out on three different PC's (desktop and 2 laptops) and it worked.

Just my experience.

Jesse~
    Currently running Operating Systems:
    Linux Mint 10 "Julia" (x86) | Maemo 5 (Nokia N900 Phone ARM) | Windows 7 Ultimate (x86)

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I tried creating mine on both a 4GB USB drive and a 8GB flashcard (Sandisk brand) using a Windows machine at work and my Jaunty system at home, same results for both. I then thought maybe it's a problem with the card reader build into the 1000HE and tried using a cheap multiport external card reader plugged into the USB port, but that didn't work either.

Choosing the "Command line Install" option and plugging the 1000HE directly into my router did allow me to do a network install. On the ubuntu irc forum, someone pointed me to http://releases.ubuntu.com/releases/9.10/ where I found CD ISO's for both the Live and Alternate 9.10 ISO images.

Ultimately, I ended up re-downloading the 9.10 Beta Live ISO and re-re-re-installed using that.

Hope this information helps anyone else having similar problems...

G
    ASUS UL20A, 128GB Falcon II SSD, 4GB RAM, Ubuntu 10.04b

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

The usb-creator seems to work fine: just installed Jaunty and Karmic from a SD card put in an USB card reader (the system can't boot from the internal card reader).
    The Power User’s Guide to Unity
    Questions about Ubuntu? Ask them at askubuntu.com!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I've installed Karmic via usb on three systems now and works fine. Only I had to use the alternate image instead of the live cd image (alpha 6). With the live cd image the installation would fail unfortunately (maybe it works now with the beta image). I created the usb disk via usb startup disk creator in Ubuntu.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by DominicF View Post
    Hi,

I too have had problems with unetbootin and Karmic but I think it is hardward related. The karmic image on my usb stick works with most PC's but doesn't doesn't like my Acer Revo Nettop and fails to boot saying media not bootable or words to that affect (I tested with other distros and those worked e.g ubuntu 9.04).

I then tried to create a USB bootable image from another of my Ubuntu desktop machines. With this method I am able to boot Karmic from USB on the Revo but later fails to load the desktop and remain at a commandline. Running the command startx doesn't help... (I don't remember the messages that appear on screen). I tried this with the last few Alpha's and now the Beta without successfully starting up the Desktop screen.
    I'm running Karmic on a Revo which I installed using a usb stick made in unetbootin on Windows. Not had any of those problems.
    HOWTO: Watch digital TV (Freeview) - http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=421110

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12