Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: network service discovery disabled

Beans

network service discovery disabled

I keep getting this message when I log in. Something about '.local' domain.

Any ideas how to fix it?

I searched, but my results seem to suggest there is a 'network' item on the 'System/Administration' menu, which there isn't - I guess they were using an older version of Ubuntu (I'm on 9.04).

Max.

Beans

Re: network service discovery disabled

This notification is informing you that mDNS (Avahi) has been disabled. It's only used for a small number of applications that only work on the local network, it won't adversely affect your Internet connection or DNS.

The most well known use for mDNS is sharing music with Rhythmbox (or iTunes) over your LAN. It's an Apple technology, but it's largely been ignored in favour of uPNP or DLNA.

If you haven't seen it already then you might want to read this page.
    http://avahi.org/wiki/AvahiAndUnicastDotLocal
    UP Team member

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by spd106 View Post
    This notification is informing you that mDNS (Avahi) has been disabled. It's only used for a small number of applications that only work on the local network, it won't adversely affect your Internet connection or DNS.

The most well known use for mDNS is sharing music with Rhythmbox (or iTunes) over your LAN. It's an Apple technology, but it's largely been ignored in favour of uPNP or DLNA.

If you haven't seen it already then you might want to read this page.
    http://avahi.org/wiki/AvahiAndUnicastDotLocal
    OK. All very interesting, but what do I do to make the warning go away - permanently? As far as I can tell, I don't care about any of this stuff.

Max.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Yes, I'm having this warning too, although not at every boot it seems.
    Does it means that avahi is already disabled? Or has it been disabled by some other process?
    Anyway, it's by no means a big issue but I would be interested to know also how to disable this warning (since I'm not looking forward to use the avahi service).
    (9.10)

Beans

You should be able to disable Avahi completely by opening System -> Administration -> Servies and unticking "Multicast DNS service discovery".

These instructions only work on GNOME, I'm not sure how you would do this with KDE or XFCE.
    UP Team member

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by spd106 View Post
    You should be able to disable Avahi completely by opening System -> Administration -> Servies and unticking "Multicast DNS service discovery".

These instructions only work on GNOME, I'm not sure how you would do this with KDE or XFCE.
    Thanks...that's what I was after

Max.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Thanks, spd106. Your explanation was directly to the point and informative. However, since I upgraded to Karmic, I couldn't find "Services" under any of the System's sub-menu. I remember that I used to see and access that dialog before the upgrade. Please help me get it back to the menu.

Beans

This Problem also affects me on Ubuntu 9.10.
    I can't find where to disable the Multicast mdns discovery.

Beans

Hi,

you can try:

sudo stop avahi-daemon
    sudo sed -e '/^start/,+1s/^/#/' /etc/init/avahi-daemon.conf

or you just go to /etc/init/ and edit the avahi-deamon.conf manually and comment out the following two lines:

#start on (filesystem
    # and started dbus)

here you can find more info: http://wiki.ubuntu.com/KarmicKoala/R...20is%20present

Hope this helps!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

This didn't help me, I commented out those lines, restarted computer but every Wi-Fi connection starts, I see that irritating notification.

UPD. FIXED.

from this thread: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1339516

> Changing AVAHI_DAEMON_DETECT_LOCAL=1 to AVAHI_DAEMON_DETECT_LOCAL=0 in /etc/default/avahi-daemon has got rid of the irritating pop-up.
    Last edited by aneganov; March 2nd, 2010 at 07:30 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast