Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Disappointed by Ubuntu's dual screen handling plus problems with resolution

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Re: Disappointed by Ubuntu's dual screen handling plus problems with resolution

First thing I found with google was this poor guy who seems to haven the same problem

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=7980092

but no answers there...

After a reboot I get the same "... running in low grafics mode ..." message again. This time I chose "restore configuration form backup" but well just nothing happened when I did this...
    Last edited by UeB; October 6th, 2009 at 11:49 PM.

Beans
    Distro

Ok managed to get rid of the ATI catalyst 9.9. Old driver restored. Back to the problem of having an TFT with the wrong resolution....

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

The catalyst driver may work, but you would have to downgrade to Intrepid, because of changes in xorg and the catalyst framework only supports newer ATI cards.

Post a bug against the open ati driver. If the developers don't have that hardware combination, they can't test it.
    -------------------------------------
    Oooh Shiny: PopularPages

Unumquodque potest reparantur. Patientia sit virtus.

Beans
    Distro

Well, I now recognised that the open source ati driver was restored after the removement of the newest fglrx driver and not the older fglrx driver that you can install from within the hardware driver app.

I recognised it because I have no 3D-acceleration with the open source driver; not even SuperTux is playable.

So I just selected the Ati fglrx driver in the hardware driver app but now this older one does not work, too!

After a reboot I only get a black screen and the computer freezes.

I already tried it 2 times but the result is the same. So it seems I am stuck the open source driver that is part of xorg and does not support 3D...

So I spend 250 € on a TFT I cannot properbly use and the what I tried so far to make it work has left me without 3D acceleration which worked since I installed Ubuntu 9.04 6 month ago....
    Last edited by UeB; October 11th, 2009 at 06:43 PM. Reason: bad grammar

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

It sounds like the newer proprietary driver left some settings that conflict with the older driver. I'm not sure how to recover at this point, except:

sudo apt-get purge xorg-driver-fglrx

Also, make a backup of your current /etc/X11/xorg.conf:

sudo cp /etc/X11/xorg.conf /etc/X11/xorg_last_used.conf

Then remove it:

sudo rm /etc/X11/xorg.conf

Then reboot.

Print out a the last few xorg.conf files so you can see what settings have changed with each driver.

Beans
    Distro

na purging xorg-driver-fglrx does not have any different effect then just removing it.

If I install it again after the "purge" it sill does not work (I get only a frozen black screen the moment X should start)
    This does not really surprise because if the uninstall script of the ati fglrx driver I directly downloaded from the AMD homepage left something behind (which it did as it seems), it will not be affected by removing the older fglrx driver that I can (un)install with apt-get.

This is my working xorg.config file:
    (only non comment lines)
    Code:
    Section "Device"
    	Identifier	"Configured Video Device"
    EndSection

Section "Monitor"
    	Identifier	"Configured Monitor"
    EndSection

Section "Screen"
    	Identifier	"Default Screen"
    	Monitor		"Configured Monitor"
    	Device		"Configured Video Device"
    EndSection
    This is the xorg.conf that the fglrx driver creates that I can install with apt-get... The one the worked well until I installed the current fglrx from AMD's website.
    (only non comment lines)
    Code:
    Section "Monitor"
    	Identifier	"Configured Monitor"
    EndSection

Section "Screen"
    	Identifier	"Default Screen"
    	Monitor		"Configured Monitor"
    	Device		"Configured Video Device"
    	DefaultDepth	24
    EndSection

Section "Module"
    	Load	"glx"
    EndSection

Section "Device"
    	Identifier	"Configured Video Device"
    	Driver	"fglrx"
    EndSection
    when I seach for files and folders with the name fglrx I get several hits.. I could just delete them all... I am not sure if I should to this...

Beans
    Distro

seems that all files containing the string fglrx in their name that I can find with "locate" are either cache files of apt or part of the app jockey which is the ubnutu hardware driver app...

So deleting them will probably not help anything

It is strange that this guide says the fglrx that is in the ubnutu repositories will not work with ubuntu 9.04 because the driver I have installed with this jockey app worked the last months...

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Bi....04%20(Jaunty)
    Last edited by UeB; October 12th, 2009 at 08:48 AM. Reason: some of many more spelling miskates

Beans

It isnt Ubuntu's handling of dual screens thats the problem. Its your ATI card and them terrible drivers. Hope you get it fixed but just an FYI dual screens on nvidia in linux is much easier and more complete than the windows equivelant.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Look at the install script for AMD's website installation of the proprietary driver. That will show the locations for all of the libraries and config files. It sounds like there is a library, symbolic link, system config setting, or local config setting that is messing up your graphics.

The other thing to try is to bombard xorg.conf with switches:

Section "Monitor"
    Identifier "Configured Monitor"
    EndSection

Section "Screen"
    Identifier "Default Screen"
    Monitor "Configured Monitor"
    Device "Configured Video Device"
    # SubSection "Display"
    # Virtual 2048 768
    # EndSubSection
    EndSection

Section "Device"
    Identifier "Configured Video Device"
    Driver "ati"
    Option "DynamicClocks" "on"
    Option "mtrr" "on"
    Option "DesktopSetup" "Single"
    Option "ScreenOverlap" "0"
    Option "VideoOverlay" "on"
    Option "OpenGLOverlay" "off"
    Option "Stereo" "off"
    Option "StereoSyncEnable" "1"
    Option "FSAAEnable" "no"
    Option "FSAAScale" "1"
    Option "FSAADisableGamma" "no"
    Option "FSAACustomizeMSPos" "no"
    Option "UseFastTLS" "0"
    Option "BlockSignalsOnLock" "on"
    Option "XAANoOffscreenPixmaps"
    Option "AccelMethod" "XAA"
    EndSection

Section "ServerFlags"
    Option "DontZap" "False"
    EndSection

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

If you do not do

aticonfig --initial

or, if you already have an xorg.conf file

aticonfig --initial -f

after installing the driver it will not work.

If you are using the rt kernel there is some problems with installing the driver. I have got the 9.9 driver working with the rt kernel only in Hardy and only by doing a manual install and restarting twice. (The first restart led to a black screen but restarting after that worked).

Remove all options until you have a working driver. Many options that worked in the past have been automated or deprecated in the newer drivers and will cause the driver to fail. Also many options are card specific and may work for only one card or card series but will break the driver if used with others.
    PMs will be ignored.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast