Beans

Re: HOWTO: Install NVIDIA display driver version 1.0-6629

all i get is a black screen?

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by lilpac
    all i get is a black screen?
    are you talking about when you ctrl>alt>f1?
    Alabama LoCo

Don't just use Linux, Learn Linux please refer to Proper Documentation. http://wiki.ubuntu.com http://doc.gwos.org http://ubuntuguide.org

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by crane
    are you talking about when you ctrl>alt>f1?
    no i loaded the module, now when i boot i just get a black screen, it can't load x

Beans
    Hidden!

After you get to the black screnn use >ctrl>alt>f1 to get to command. then look at your XF86Config file.
    Make sure the driver is nvidia. if it asn't try changing it. If it is change it back to nv and try srating X again.
    Alabama LoCo

Don't just use Linux, Learn Linux please refer to Proper Documentation. http://wiki.ubuntu.com http://doc.gwos.org http://ubuntuguide.org

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by crane
    After you get to the black screnn use >ctrl>alt>f1 to get to command. then look at your XF86Config file.
    Make sure the driver is nvidia. if it asn't try changing it. If it is change it back to nv and try srating X again.
    i did change the driver back to nv, this way i could enter X,
    but after that i had some troubles with gdm + i coul'd install the old drivers back
    so i just installed ubuntu all over again

Beans

Hi...

I followed instructions to the letter, but when I try step 9b,

$ sudo dpkg -i nvidia-glx_1.0.6629+1-1_i386.deb

I get an error stating that dependancy problems are hindering configuration of nvidia-glx.

According to what it says, this is because of nvidia-kernel-1.0.6629, and that the package is not installed.

Any suggestions as to why I get this message? I've doublechecked, I HAVE followed the instructions correctly, to the best of my limited knowledge.

EDIT:

According to synaptic, I should install nvidia-kernel-source (which I have), and that the file is in conflict with nvidia-glx-src.
    Synaptic also suggests I should install nvidia-settings. It's all greek to me.
    Last edited by RadixLecti; February 9th, 2005 at 02:27 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by RadixLecti
    Hi...

I followed instructions to the letter, but when I try step 9b,

$ sudo dpkg -i nvidia-glx_1.0.6629+1-1_i386.deb

I get an error stating that dependancy problems are hindering configuration of nvidia-glx.

According to what it says, this is because of nvidia-kernel-1.0.6629, and that the package is not installed.

Any suggestions as to why I get this message? I've doublechecked, I HAVE followed the instructions correctly, to the best of my limited knowledge.

EDIT:

According to synaptic, I should install nvidia-kernel-source (which I have), and that the file is in conflict with nvidia-glx-src.
    Synaptic also suggests I should install nvidia-settings. It's all greek to me.
    Exactly the same happened here. So I grabbed the official nVidia.run package from nVidia's page, installed it, edited xorg.conf a bit and then it was fully functional. Using 6800 LE, Hoary, XOrg 6.8.1, 2.6.10-smp (compiled by myself) and everything is apt-get upgraded and dist-upgraded. This happened two days ago.
    Linux user since -98, Ubuntu user since -04.

Beans

I gave up and resorted to the older 6611 drivers (tested nvidias own installer too, got it working, but it didn't want to install properly) which I installed via apt-get.
    Hey, at least my graphics card is functioning now. Not bad for a complete newbie.

Beans

Good to know I wasn't the only one to end up with a dead X Server trying it the .deb way. I think I'll stick with the Nvidia way in future as I don't do kernel upgrades all the time and it's easy to deal with if I do upgrade the kernel.

I ended up re-installing hoary to get back to a functioning desktop but that's only cause I'm still remembering the apt way, been a few years.

Beans

I've been trying to find out how to install the drivers for my Nvidia card for a few days now. This HOWTO is pretty cool. I ran into a problem when I tryed to complete step 2 though.

2. Download and install the 6629 nvidia-kernel-common and nvidia-kernel-source packages from debian unstable (click on the links to download, and use the following commands to install):

$ sudo dpkg -i nvidia-kernel-common_1.0.6629+1_all.deb
    $ sudo dpkg -i nvidia-kernel-source_1.0.6629+1-1_i386.deb
    Code:
    $ sudo dpkg -i nvidia-kernel-source_1.0.6629+1-1_i386.deb
    Selecting previously deselected package nvidia-kernel-source.
    (Reading database ... 74117 files and directories currently installed.)
    Unpacking nvidia-kernel-source (from nvidia-kernel-source_1.0.6629+1-1_i386.deb) ...
    dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of nvidia-kernel-source:
     nvidia-kernel-source depends on dpatch (>= 2.0.0); however:
      Package dpatch is not installed.
    dpkg: error processing nvidia-kernel-source (--install):
     dependency problems - leaving unconfigured
    Errors were encountered while processing:
     nvidia-kernel-source
    I haven't been using Linux for very long and I don't know what to do. Any help?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast