Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Thread: Toshiba Satellite M505 overheating problem

Beans

Re: Toshiba Satellite M505 overheating problem

Quote Originally Posted by davesmith View Post
    Toshiba laptops are notorious for having overheating issues. This is usually a hardware problem associated with the main CPU heatsink radiator vanes getting clogged with dust.
    Didn't we go over this? The problem has nothing to do with dust buildup or hardware layout; we're talking about brand-new, straight-out-of-the-box laptops that haven't been used enough to have such issues. Also, we don't have this problem in Windows.

Anyway, I haven't checked on the DSDT issue; it is at this point that I admit I'm a lazy half-wit who has a habit of not following through on stuff like that, even if I have every intention of doing so. Fortunately spring break starts soon, so I might have better odds of motivating myself to investigate over the next two weeks.

Almikul, you said updating the kernel fixed the problem for you. When did the 23.19 update come in? I'm trying to remember if I already had that installed or not when I last had Ubuntu installed. (I think I might have been up to 23.17, but I don't accurately recall.) Also, we should figure out what happened to the ACPI data when you installed that update; might be a question for the devs.
    Model: Toshiba Satellite M505D laptop
    System: Windows 7/planned install Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic
    (Updated 9 Jan 2010)

Beans

I think if this is happening with out-of-the-box new tosh machines then you might consider talking to the developers. A number of ppl have overheating probs with toshibas, it might be worth it

I run hardy heron on a Tosh A30 Satellite, the h/s vanes are always getting blocked.
    Last edited by davesmith; April 4th, 2010 at 10:27 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I have same issue (high temp). I tried debian 5.04, freebsd 8, linuxmint8, ubuntu 9.1, etc but no luck.

until now i am looking for solution and waiting hoping to be fix.

currently using windows vista to avoid high temp.
    squeeze it and release it =)

Beans

I, also, have a Toshiba Satellite M505 with Intel Core2 processor, and have the non-working fan heat problem when running Linux for the last 7 months (since it came out of the box). Having just discovered this thread, I am interested in a permanent fix.

When awakening the computer from the sleep mode, the fans works fine. I am not sure of the temperatures involved, but there is never a problem in Windows VISTA with the machine even getting warm. Linux just has this problem.

I would be interested on anything new discovered about this problem.

Thanks,
    bob

Beans

beebuntu,

Everything we know is covered here. However, one thing that could work is installing and configuring the omnibook module, experimenting with different ectypes. If you (or anyone else) is willing to try, this is the procedure:

1. Install omnibook module: http://andrewm.info/software/guides/...tops-on-ubuntu
    (ignore the bluetooth business)

2. Load the module with ectype=1
    sudo modprobe omnibook ectype=1 && dmesg | grep omnibook && hcitool dev

3. If your fan doesn't start:
    $ sudo make unload # alternatively try $ sudo modprobe -r omnibook

4. Repeat. Go back to step 2, but increment ectype (ectype=2, then ectype=3 and so on). Until the fan starts working, repeat until ectype=16.

If this doesn't work, then I guess it's up to the Ubuntu devs or Toshiba/Phoenix.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

has anyone made any progress? I also have the AMI bios, not Pheonix.

I was working on this around February and got it slightly use-able by setting a boot option to make the fans run all the time. I gave up when I read something about the issue being related to the ATI card inside and interactions with the ATI drivers. I can't find the source anymore . Hope thats helps a bit.

Beans

Angry Re: Toshiba Satellite M505 overheating problem

Has anybody tested this on 10.04? Or there is no hope yet?

Beans
    Distro

I have wifi working in 10.04, but fans are still funny.

Beans
    Distro

actually.... that was on 64 bit.

Fans seem to work on 32. (I think it's getting the bad trip points though, because it seems like it is still getting to hot)

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Druke View Post
    actually.... that was on 64 bit.

Fans seem to work on 32. (I think it's getting the bad trip points though, because it seems like it is still getting to hot)
    Have you tried playing with acpi_osi (as explained earlier in the thread)?

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast