Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Toshiba Satellite M505 overheating problem

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Question Toshiba Satellite M505 overheating problem

I purchased new Toshiba Satellite M505-S4945 laptop and installed 64-bit Jaunty. Everything works great except that the fan cannot be turned on due to broken ACPI tables from Phoenix BIOS. The fan makes a big difference (40C vs 70+C).

I found an omnibook module from sourceforge that is supposed to fix some issues with Satellite laptops, but I was unsuccessful compiling it, probably because the types of supported laptops do not include Satellite M505. I am not a developer nor a programmer, so I cannot fix the source code of omnibook module myself to add my specific model nor can I find it from terminal.

I was wondering if someone has M505 and could resolve this ACPI issue or if someone had to modify the omnibook driver (attached below) to include a specific laptop model (I believe, it is in laptop.h file). I would greatly appreciate any advise.

P.S. After my laptop woke-up from the sleep, the fan started working immediately, but now it just runs continuously (at least temp fell to 44C).
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by almikul; October 4th, 2009 at 06:51 AM. Reason: Additional info

Beans
    Distro

Re: Toshiba Satellite M505 overheating problem

bump

Beans
    Distro

I guess this Toshiba model is not very popular in Ubuntu community?

Beans

I have this same problem. I nearly fried my brand new laptop with Linux Mint 7 (Ubuntu-based). This is stopping me from using Linux. I simply cannot install any distro where this problem is not addressed.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by wafflemelon View Post
    I have this same problem. I nearly fried my brand new laptop with Linux Mint 7 (Ubuntu-based). This is stopping me from using Linux. I simply cannot install any distro where this problem is not addressed.
    What I do in Karmic is wait until it gets warm and then put it to sleep for a second. Upon wake-up, the fan starts working and then works continuously. It doesn't bother me much because once the fan starts working in Windows, it also keeps it running non-stop to keep the temperature around 40-50 degrees.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by wafflemelon View Post
    Unfortunately, it appears that this is an issue in every distro. I am currently running Fedora 12 (I'm waiting until they iron out some of the kinks in 9.10 before I go back to it), and I nearly burnt up the CPU before I remembered this.

So the problem isn't just with Linux Mint and/or Ubuntu--it's with every distro out there.

BTW, I've heard quite a bit about Linux Mint. What differentiates it from regular Ubuntu?

Beans

I think their goal is ease-of-use. Also, it seems lighter and has it's own set of system apps.

Beans

Strange - I have the same model and my fan seems to work fine. Although the left side of the main unit does get a little hot...what do you use to check things like temperature?

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by derekmbarnes View Post
    Strange - I have the same model and my fan seems to work fine.
    What is your exact model? Mine is M505-S4945.

Has it always worked fine or it started after some update? Mine is still not working properly after the latest updates for 32-bit Karmic.

Although the left side of the main unit does get a little hot...
    It is normal when the fan is working.

what do you use to check things like temperature?
    Install acpi and then do:
    Code:
    acpi -t

Beans

Okay, I stand corrected. acpi reads as follows when I run it:

Code:
    Thermal 0: active, 76.0 degrees C
    So I guess I have the same problem!
    Last edited by derekmbarnes; December 31st, 2009 at 08:29 AM. Reason: Original content no longer applies

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast