Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Toshiba Satellite M505 overheating problem

Beans

Exclamation Re: Toshiba Satellite M505 overheating problem

Okay; I think I have a partial solution. To do this you need acpi and powersaved, both installed from Synaptic; it is assumed you are running Karmic 9.10. Once installed, proceed as follows:

1) Open Terminal and enter the following code:

Code:
    /proc/acpi/thermal_zone/*/trip_points
    and compare with

Code:
    sudo powersave -T
    This will tell you your "trip points," the Celsius temperatures where the fan kicks in ("active"), where the processor slows itself down ("passive"), and where it gets so hot it shuts down the system completely ("critical"). The simple solution would be to lower all these variables by at least 10 degrees; unfortunately, if you have the same luck I did acpi won't let you do that.

2)
    Whether you're able to override the trip points or not, first check the following:

Code:
    /proc/acpi/thermal_zone/*/cooling_mode
    If this document exists, then you can alter Cooling Mode in powersave. If not, skip to step 6.

3) Next type:

Code:
    sudo gedit /etc/powersave/thermal
    When gedit opens the document, find the non-hashed line that reads ENABLE_THERMAL_MANAGEMENT="" and alter as shown below:

Code:
    ENABLE_THERMAL_MANAGEMENT="yes"
    Exit gedit.

4) Repeat of step 3 with a different document:

Code:
    sudo gedit /etc/powersave/scheme_powersave
    Scroll down to the non-hashed line COOLING_POLICY="passive". Change to:

Code:
    COOLING_POLICY="active"
    Exit gedit.

5) Reboot the system to enact changes.

I have no idea how well this will work; honestly it doesn't seem to be doing much for me. My processor reads in the ninety-degree range (about 200 Farenheit!) either way.

6) Open this document (this will only work if powersave is installed):

file:///usr/share/doc/powersaved/html/Thermal.html

This is a chapter of the powersave manual; it basically tells you how to do everything I just said, except it also tells you how to override the trip points. That said, I couldn't find a line anywhere in powersave's /scheme_* files with THERMAL at the beginning. I don't know if you're supposed to add it in yourself or what; they don't explain it very well. It does say to e-mail your vendor for the trip point settings used by BIOS -- which is sensible since in most of these cases the fan worked a lot better with Windows.

-----

If anyone figures out step 6, kindly add what you did on to this thread; it means you had better luck than I did. I know those trip points are the key; I just can't figure out how to get the system to let me change them. Good luck to all of you!

Beans

Re: Toshiba Satellite M505 overheating problem

According to http://lwn.net/Articles/244595/ as of kernel 2.6.22, trip points cannot be overriden. Why? Because It's not an actual override: Linux disables the BIOS trip points, and sets software trip points for the hardware to poll.
    If for any reason Linux failed to inform the hardware of the 'soft' trip points, Linux would be blamed for melting people's laptops. So they take that away from us.

Smells to me like political bull.

Beans

Also: http://fedoraforum.org/forum/showpos...02&postcount=2

I think this means we're pretty much screwed.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by wafflemelon View Post
    Also: http://fedoraforum.org/forum/showpos...02&postcount=2

I think this means we're pretty much screwed.
    There is another option: we can appeal directly to the Ubuntu developers and inform them of our problem. If they can lower the trip point settings with a system upgrade, it might resolve the issue.

So does anyone know how to contact the developers?

Beans

I believe the only way is to report it as a bug at http://bugzilla.kernel.org/ .

There is a recent bug report for a Portegé M900 laptop, but I'm not sure it's related.

I suppose in this case it should be reported as a Phoenix Bios problem.

Beans

Arrow Re: Toshiba Satellite M505 overheating problem

Update: other users report resolving fan issues by switching to an older kernel of Ubuntu through GRUB -- version 2.6.28-16 was specifically mentioned. (I am currently using kernel 2.6.31-16; terminal command "uname -r" displays this.) I don't recommend trying to make this alteration, but it could be a vital clue to what's going on. If downgrading to an older kernel "solves" the problem, what changed in the newer kernels to cause it?

Beans

I'm currently away on vacation and have no linux installed on my laptop. So will someone please test this out for us?

Try loading the kernel each time with one of the following parameters:

* pnpbios=off
    * acpi_osi=Linux
    * acpi=force

Also, take a look at http://www.linuxquestions.org/questi...924/page2.html
    There are some very interesting tips there.

Please share results!
    Last edited by wafflemelon; January 2nd, 2010 at 04:54 AM. Reason: crazy tagging

Beans

Try loading the kernel each time with one of the following parameters:

* pnpbios=off
    * acpi_osi=Linux
    * acpi=force
    Tried all three; none of them worked. But according to the link this tactic is only helpful if equipped with BIOS 1.8; I checked my BIOS via

Code:
    sudo dmidecode
    and it turned to be version 1.2. (So no wonder.) I'm assuming this is the case for all Satellite M500's, in which case we need to figure out how to update it if this is going to be of any use.

Other solutions we haven't tried yet:
    -In the above link, disabling APCID seemed to solve several issues at once. Unfortunately, the user who discovered this accomplished it through a menu option that no longer exists. (He was running 9.04.) And I don't know how to do the same thing in Terminal. He also posted what appears to be an alternate version of modifying APCID; will try it out later...
    -Elsewhere I saw a post where a user solved the problem by updating his kernel to 2.6.32. I don't know if we can do that, because I'm not sure this kernel is even officially out yet...will check Update Manager and keep everyone posted.
    Last edited by derekmbarnes; January 2nd, 2010 at 09:05 AM. Reason: adding code for additional assistance

Beans

Toshiba has a bios update app for Windows on their website. Version 2.30 is already available (and I already flashed mine).
    If you can't update, I'll be home thursday and will try them out.

Beans

Arrow Re: Toshiba Satellite M505 overheating problem

Update: Found this on Ubuntu wiki - https://wiki.ubuntu.com/BIOSandUbunt...ecking%20tools

If you suspect your BIOS is not behaving correctly, then it is worth using the Linux Firmware Kit http://www.linuxfirmwarekit.org/ to automatically check for incorrect BIOS behaviour. Some issues we have found with this are as follows:

-Incorrectly set thermal trip zone values (ACPI spec 11.1) and Linux /proc/acpi/thermal_zone/THRM
    Does this sound familiar to anyone? Keep reading...

BIOS issues can cause suspend/resume to fail...
    Huh. I'm having that problem too...

I think this link, combined with results of the previous link, pretty much confirms that our problem is rooted in a BIOS/ACPI conflict. I haven't figured out how to update my BIOS yet (not the mention the very prospect of doing so scares me), and Toshiba doesn't list an update for the M500 anyway. Meanwhile I'll be checking other threads for more information; I'll get back to you if I find anything.
    Last edited by derekmbarnes; January 3rd, 2010 at 07:08 AM. Reason: Additional afterthought

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast