Thread: External Monitor Flicker in Vertical Display

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

External Monitor Flicker in Vertical Display

Hello,

I recently started using my Samsung 204T as an external monitor for my laptop. I have it connected with VGA, and I setup my xorg.conf to fit both resolutions in virtual resolution (1680x1050 for laptop and 1600x1200 for external, giving 3280x2250 virtual). I also use this command:

Code:
    xrandr --output LVDS --mode 1680x1050 --output VGA --rotate left --mode 1600x1200
    to use my external in the vertical position. It works fine until about 10 or 15 minutes in the vertical mode. The external monitor starts displaying flickering scan lines. Returning to horizontal mode and turning the monitor off/on stops the flickering.

I have turned off compiz, and use metacity, but the problem still persists. Any ideas as to what might be happening? I have an Intel Corporation Mobile GM965/GL960 Integrated Graphics Controller card.

Thanks,

-Greg

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: External Monitor Flicker in Vertical Display

I have a similar problem: When turning the laptop's LCD off, thus only being on the external monitor via VGA, there are funny lines bundled together distorting the vertical lines in only these regions in a snake-like way.

I am using Karmic..and I didn't touch xorg.conf.

here is a Screenshot

cheers.
    Last edited by Chris_82; December 19th, 2009 at 12:35 PM. Reason: Screenshot added: (quality is average but one can see the snake-distortion)

Beans

Re: External Monitor Flicker in Vertical Display

Apparently, this is an electrical problem and it has to do with the power circuitry (I guess you can't even call it a hardware problem): there is a website that explains what's going on http://mrgnome.wordpress.com/2009/06...roblem-solved/

If you're like me and the flickering stops once you stop charging your laptop, then this'll tell you what to do.