Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Karmic= EWW!

Beans

New Karmic= EWW!

I really dont like the overly darkness of the new Karmic beta, totally the wrong direction IMO.
    I preferred the human theme proposed in the Alpha's, and the breathe icon set...
    I hope this wont be the official theme
    HOME BUILT SYSTEM! http://brainstorm.ubuntu.com/idea/22804/ Please vote up!
    remember kiddies: sudo rm -rf= BAD!, if someone tells you to do this, please ignore them unless YOU WANT YOUR SYSTEM WIPED

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Re: New Karmic= EWW!

The artwork deadline has passed so it will be the theme.

Don't like it, change it.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by SunnyRabbiera View Post
    I really dont like the overly darkness of the new Karmic beta, totally the wrong direction IMO.
    I preferred the human theme proposed in the Alpha's, and the breathe icon set...
    I hope this wont be the official theme
    Why do you care? Rarely does anyone use the default theme settings for any Linux distro, Ubuntu included. I say it really doesn't matter. My whole desktop is green right now anyway - neither Jaunty/Intrepid orange nor Karmic's maroon...
    Need an awesome emulator front-end for Ubuntu? Look no further than Gelide!
    Gelide Tutorial (Click Here)

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_IronFist View Post
    Why do you care? Rarely does anyone use the default theme settings for any Linux distro, Ubuntu included. I say it really doesn't matter. My whole desktop is green right now anyway - neither Jaunty/Intrepid orange nor Karmic's maroon...
    Yeh but now there will be a whole slew of "its too brown" posts.
    Shuttleworth had said he wanted to compete with Apple in terms of looks, making the system overly brown is not the right way to obtain that goal.
    remember kiddies: sudo rm -rf= BAD!, if someone tells you to do this, please ignore them unless YOU WANT YOUR SYSTEM WIPED

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Shuttleworth had said he wanted to compete with Apple in terms of looks, making the system overly brown is not the right way to obtain that goal.
    I agree, way too brown.
    Yesterday it worked.
    Today it is not working.
    Windows is like that.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Karmic Koala (testing)

It looks nice

What are you talking about? Karmic looks much better than Jaunty
    ubuntu

Beans

There are bound to be some that like and some that dislike any given theme, thats just life, and human nature.

The important thing is that the default is slick, consistent and complete, to me those requirements are far above the actual look. After that, all we can hope is that more people think it is nice than agree with you.

At the moment, I'm about 50/50 on it, but as I say, individual opinions are pointless, all that matters is the consensus of the majority.

Beans
    Hidden!

Don't forget that Apple's all gray - not really the prettiest color in the world. It's a matter of subjectivity. In terms of competition though, people seem to be swayed towards Ubuntu for its features and ease of use - not to mention its ability to be so readily modified.

Whenever I show it (Ubuntu) off, people are more impressed by OpenOffice, Firefox, ease of installing software, no viruses, etc. I mean, Windows XP was ugly as sin, but did anyone care? No, because it was so darn good (for a Microsoft OS, anyway) that all concerns over its hideous, toybox-looking design were ignored.
    Need an awesome emulator front-end for Ubuntu? Look no further than Gelide!
    Gelide Tutorial (Click Here)

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_IronFist View Post
    Don't forget that Apple's all gray - not really the prettiest color in the world. It's a matter of subjectivity. In terms of competition though, people seem to be swayed towards Ubuntu for its features and ease of use - not to mention its ability to be so readily modified.

Whenever I show it (Ubuntu) off, people are more impressed by OpenOffice, Firefox, ease of installing software, no viruses, etc. I mean, Windows XP was ugly as sin, but did anyone care? No, because it was so darn good (for a Microsoft OS, anyway) that all concerns over its hideous, toybox-looking design were ignored.
    Yeh but the scrollbar in Mac is blue, the scrollbar in Karmic beta is brown.
    The boot up theme is overly dark and brown too.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Karmic Koala (testing)

You cant please everyone.

Myself, I prefer the Kuler 2 and SlickneSS Black gtk themes.

Someone else might prefer that all white one .. I think its called "White?!"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast