Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: partial upgrade?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Question Re: partial upgrade?

Quote Originally Posted by 23meg View Post
    People who do partial updates don't read stickies™
    Not to be smarmy, bit there is no sticky addressing THIS issue (Partial Upgrades) - being that updating/upgrading is a near daily check for most people and is done via the GUI for most, I think this issue needs a separate "sticky".

I also "vote" for some statement like "Partial upgrades may, or may not, crash your system permanently, so you should not to this unless you like Russial Roulette." or something like that.

What's the point of something that suddenly MAY be destructive being cloaked as something called "Partial Upgrade", that users have used for years harmlessly - where's the logic to that???
    Last edited by emarkay; October 4th, 2009 at 02:10 PM. Reason: typo
    Ubuntu 12.04 LTS (& Windows XP-SP3 for Flight Sim only) - (1) 3.4 G/3G RAM/NVIDIA GT630, 2048VRAM/SB AudigySE Audio (2) 2.9 G/2G RAM/NVIDIA 9500GT,1024VRAM/SB Audio (3) 2.3 G/2G RAM/NVIDIA FX1500M,256VRAM/Sigmatel Audio

Beans
    Distro

Re: partial upgrade?

Ubuntu 12.04 LTS (& Windows XP-SP3 for Flight Sim only) - (1) 3.4 G/3G RAM/NVIDIA GT630, 2048VRAM/SB AudigySE Audio (2) 2.9 G/2G RAM/NVIDIA 9500GT,1024VRAM/SB Audio (3) 2.3 G/2G RAM/NVIDIA FX1500M,256VRAM/Sigmatel Audio

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by emarkay
    Not to be smarmy, bit there is no sticky addressing THIS issue (Partial Upgrades) - being that updating/upgrading is a near daily check for most people and is done via the GUI for most, I think this issue needs a separate "sticky".
    It's mentioned in the sticky thread regarding the beta release:

Quote Originally Posted by 23meg
    Once you've started testing, do not upgrade your installation blindly - especially, avoid partial upgrades offered by Update Manager unless you know precisely why it's offering a partial upgrade. Regardless of which tool (APT, Update Manager, Synaptic, Aptitude) you're using to upgrade your packages, always check the list of packages to be removed, upgraded and installed before each upgrade. If in doubt, check the changelogs ("Package > Download Changelog" in Synaptic, or "aptitude changelog package_name", or at packages.ubuntu.com) to see why a package may be being removed.
    It's also stressed in https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuDevelo...opmentReleases, which is linked to in that thread.

Beans

You have to admire sometimes the collective wisdom of whoever came up with this nonsense. There is no such thing as partial upgrade. It's either go or no-go. Why it's still an option is even more perflexing. It doesn't buy you anything.

BTW, your pizza is ready for the oven. Would you want a slice while waiting?
    OB-untu. #!crunchbang

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by NRDNick View Post
    Just open synaptic, click "mark all upgrades" this will then list what is to be removed/installed/upgraded. I really believe this feature should be implemented into the update manager itself.
    It is implemented.

If you get the partial upgrade popup and click OK, you can still review the actions (removals, upgrades, new installs) before committing.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by FormerSlacker View Post
    I was getting a partial upgrade message yesterday, but "apt-get dist-upgrade" was showing no issues, and it updated fine. I'm not sure what the problem was.
    It was probably the replacement of libgd2-noxpm by libgd2-xpm.

In this case, the partial upgrade was supposed to be done.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by Keyper7 View Post
    It was probably the replacement of libgd2-noxpm by libgd2-xpm.

In this case, the partial upgrade was supposed to be done.
    Right. The real problem is that some people are doing partial upgrades all the time. Sometimes they are lucky (and therefore spread the misinformation that such upgrades are safe), and other times they are not.

Now that we are entering the beta phase, you can expect dozens of threads from users expressing difficulty, all due to unsafe partial upgrades.

Looking at the last three (!) pages of the Karmic subforum, I can see the following threads that would not need to exist if the users understood partial upgrades:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1281366
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1281900
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1281920
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1282331
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1281787

I'm sure that I even missed a few.

We need to use some tough love here. Any time a thread is created which asks about an issue related to partial upgrades, lock the thread and post a link to the sticky. Something needs to be done, because the forum will become far too cluttered.
    Last edited by psyke83; October 4th, 2009 at 04:44 PM.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by 23meg View Post

Um, that's what I said.... This is so important it needs a SEPARATE Sticky IMHO.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Quote Originally Posted by emarkay View Post
    Um, that's what I said.... This is so important it needs a SEPARATE Sticky IMHO.
    I agree. This thread has gotten a fair amount of eye rolling, yet it continues on. If the dangers of doing a partial upgrade were clear, and I did read the beta sticky, then there wouldn't be so many questions about it nor so many miscues from having executed such.
    Registered Linux user #436067
    Registered Ubuntu user #29066
    -----------------------------
    Linux assumes you know exactly what you are doing.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by emarkay View Post
    And this is what I said before you said what you said, albeit half seriously: people who tend to click the "Partial Upgrade" button and not study the changes proposed will tend not to read sticky threads, but create new threads asking for assistance. And I'm not making this up; I've been frequenting the testing discussion forums since Hoary, and moderating them since Gutsy, and that is my observation.

Still, I might be wrong; times may have changed and it's worth an experiment. I'll post a sticky thread explaining the "Partial Upgrade" phenomenon within a few hours and we'll see if it works ("works" meaning we get a drastically less amount of new threads asking for "Partial Upgrade" assistance).

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast