Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: partial upgrade?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

partial upgrade?

I've seen posts warning against accepting a partial upgrade. What is the reason for this? I've seen no posts explaining why this is a bad idea.
    Registered Linux user #436067
    Registered Ubuntu user #29066
    -----------------------------
    Linux assumes you know exactly what you are doing.

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: partial upgrade?

Quote Originally Posted by oboedad55 View Post
    I've seen posts warning against accepting a partial upgrade. What is the reason for this? I've seen no posts explaining why this is a bad idea.
    Because people don't seem entirely sure what a partial upgrade could do to your system. Check the offical Beta thread (it's stickied in this forum) for more details.
    Need an awesome emulator front-end for Ubuntu? Look no further than Gelide!
    Gelide Tutorial (Click Here)

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

'Partial' being the keyword here. Some thing is 'missing' or not all packages are there. You will end up with a 'broken' system. Best to wait a while and whatever packages were 'missing' will find their way to the update.
    (Was)Windows Free At Last
    "May You Have A Safe Trip and A Successful Journey"
    Linux user #432153 Ubuntu user #8521

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Sometimes a partial upgrade may uninstall packages if the dependencies were not updated yet in the repos. Sometimes a package may be updated to a version incompatible with other packages. Avoid them.

Beans
    Distro

There's a language problem here.

• Partial Upgrade does not mean "some of your system will be upgraded".
    • Partial Upgrade does mean "some packages will be removed".

Due to the way that Ubuntu's build system works, the following occurs:
    • on some days, a Partial Upgrade will remove packages intentionally, such as when a package becomes obsoleted by another package. A recent example: software-store was removed in order to replace software-center, to reflect the renaming of the application.
    • on other days, however, a Partial Upgrade will remove important or even vital packages, sometimes with catastrophic effects.

Why does the latter, destructive scenario occur? Sometimes a package will depend on other packages to install correctly, or else they will get removed to keep the system consistent. Ubuntu's build system is not smart enough to realize that if package X requires package Y to install correctly, it should prevent package X from being released into the repositories until package Y is also available.

It is up to the intelligence of the user to determine this - and unfortunately, not many understand or care. This is why you have lots of warnings about the development release, and why you should always read the sticky thread (where this is explained).
    Last edited by psyke83; October 3rd, 2009 at 11:55 PM.

Beans

I'm waiting since yesterday morning for the dependencies to catch up...

Very anxious, since a lot of improvements seem to be on the queue.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Just open synaptic, click "mark all upgrades" this will then list what is to be removed/installed/upgraded. I really believe this feature should be implemented into the update manager itself.

Beans

Not knowing any better at the time I installed a partial upgrade around the time that Alpha 5 of Karmic was released. Afterwards the system wouldn't boot. I got all sorts error messages, which if I attempted to understand them, would have made my brain melt.
    I had to do a completely fresh install.

Beans
    Distro

I did the partial upgrade, nothing horrible has happened. Must be my day.

Beans
    Distro

Also if you want the full uograde after looking at what is to be removed and added run sudo apt-get dist-upgrade.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast