Thread: upgrading OpenOffice from 2.4 to OOo 3

Beans

upgrading OpenOffice from 2.4 to OOo 3

ok, the title pretty well explains it, but here's some quick info about my system first. i'm running an old Dell Dimensin L500cx with 512 MB of PC100 SDRAM, and a 500 MHz Intel Celeron processor. the OS is a custom DE built from a CLI install using Fluxbox as the WM, rox-filer as the file manager, feh and idesk for icon rendering and an assortment of other lightweight apps to round off the OS. now, down to the matter at hand. i'm trying to upgrade OOo from 2.4 to OOo 3. i began by completely removing the version of OOo i already had and then downloaded the archive for my system from OpenOffice.org, extracted the files and installed all the debs using dpkg but nothing is showing up in the Fluxbox menus, i'm not finding anything in the /usr/bin directory concering OpenOffice and when i try to launch oowriter from the terminal it says it's not installed and to use apt-get to install it. any suggestions guys? any help is appreciated and thanks in advance,

Phil

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: upgrading OpenOffice from 2.4 to OOo 3

Maybe its in the /opt directory. Did you look there?

also try
    Code:
    sudo updatedb
    locate ooffice
    UNIX was not designed to stop you from doing stupid things, because that would also stop you from doing clever things. -- Doug Gwyn
    SystemRescueCd | Dual Boot | psychocats | FAQ

Beans

Fluxbox's menu does not automatically show new programs, you have to edit it and add the programs you want.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by anonymous_user View Post
    Fluxbox's menu does not automatically show new programs, you have to edit it and add the programs you want.
    it use to be that way, but the newer versions of fluxbox has aut-updating menus, but none the less i've solved the problem. it installed, just as a different command, running

Code:
    openoffice.org3
    from a terminal launches a nifty little screen that asks me which OOo program i want to launch, i.e. Base, Writer, Math, Calc, Impress and the like. i've thus added the entry to my ~/.fluxbox/menu file. but oh well, thanks for the assistance guys, marking this thread as solved

Phil

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

has anyone tried this process. sounds reasonable