Thread: Can I delete my post?

Beans

Can I delete my post?

The Edit button at the bottom of the post has a rollover that says "Edit/Delete Message", but I can't figure out how to delete.

The topic of the message turned out to be a non-issue. It's not essential that I remove it.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Re: Can I delete my post?

You can't delete a post - you can only edit it so there is nothing theere.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by forestpixie View Post
    You can't delete a post - you can only edit it so there is nothing theere.
    I think there needs to be at least 1 character, that isn't a space. Alternatively you can use the report button and report it to staff asking for it to be deleted. If there's good reason we'll remove the post

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Could it be a nice idea to add a delete possibility?

But of course only if you're deleting your own post and it was the last post in the thread.
    That would take away a lot of the posts where someone was too quick posting.
    desktop: Ubuntu 13.04 64-bit | AMD64 Athlon II X3 | 3.2 GHz | 4GB RAM | ATI Radeon HD4250
    netbook: Ubuntu 12.10 32-bit| AAO ZG5 | Intel Atom | 1.6 GHz | 1GB RAM | Intel 945GSE Express

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Quote Originally Posted by Ampi View Post
    Could it be a nice idea to add a delete possibility?

But of course only if you're deleting your own post and it was the last post in the thread.
    That would take away a lot of the posts where someone was too quick posting.
    what is "too quick posting"?
    if people would read and think before they post, there shouldnt be a problem.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

My probelm is too slow posting. I'll answer, post and then find someone has beaten me to it. In this case, Edit and explain "Sorry, posted in error" or something.
    AMD Phenom Quad 9650, 8Gb RAM, (2 x 1) +(1 x 1.5)Tb HDDs; 64-bit Lucid (ʍoʃs ʎpooʃq ooʇ sɐʍ ʇı ʇnq ʎʇʇɐᴎ pǝıɹʇ I); Dual-boot Win XP Pro 32-bit (although mainly use WINE or VirtualBox). HP t5730 with 1GB RAM and 160GB HDD running xubuntu 10.10.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by underquark View Post
    My probelm is too slow posting. I'll answer, post and then find someone has beaten me to it. In this case, Edit and explain "Sorry, posted in error" or something.
    There is no reason to edit your post. I would rather have three people say more or less the same thing then have one useful post and 2 pointless 'Edit: oops' posts
    computer-howto
    Linux is not windows
    Fluxbox & Flux menu how to
    Programming is an art. Learn it, Live it, Love it!

Beans

Having an option to delete a thread would be good. It would trim a lot of excess fat.

Yes, alienclone, in a perfect world, people would do more research and perhaps find the answer, but sometimes frustration lends itself to short searching and quick "help me" posts.

After some cooling time, my guess is more then a few of us find we've posted prematurely wishing for a delete thread option.

Actually, I am guilty of this once or twice.

It would also reduce the workload of many helpers spending time replying to a thread that is no longer of any importance allowing them to spend time helping others that do need help.

As far as searching to find if there was an answer someone else asked, I find searching this forum somewhat inefficient. It is difficult to define some questions and the search algorithm doesn't do "fuzzy" searching. Being able to use Boolean OR operator would be very helpful.

I think the requirements for deleting a thread should be, only the owner and moderator should be able to do so and the thread should have no answer postings (or in the process of answering) from others.

Mark
    So many computers, so little time.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

As has already been stated:

Quote Originally Posted by Joeb454 View Post
    Alternatively you can use the report button and report it to staff asking for it to be deleted. If there's good reason we'll remove the post
    If you start a thread or post in error, please use the button to communicate with staff.

Old thread closed.
    Ubuntu 20.04 Desktop Guide - Ubuntu 22.04 Desktop Guide - Forum Guide to BBCode - Using BBCode code tags

Member: Not Canonical Team

If you need help with your forum account, such as SSO login issues, username changes, etc, the correct place to contact an admin is here. Please do not PM me about these matters unless you have been asked to - unsolicited PMs concerning forum accounts will be ignored.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

From Code of Conduct:
    If a post is older than a year or so and hasn't had a new reply in that time, instead of replying to it, create a new thread. In the software world, a lot can change in a very short time, and doing things this way makes it more likely that you will find the best information. You may link to the original discussion in the new thread if you think it may be helpful.
    Linux User #415691 Ubuntu User #8629
    Iowa Team (LoCo): [Wiki] [Launchpad]
    IRC channel: #ubuntu-us-ia on irc.freenode.net