Thread: Specify X-session/monitor via CLI/SSH

Beans

Thumbs down Specify X-session/monitor via CLI/SSH

I have been trying to find the specific syntax but it could be I don't know the search terms I should be using. I have a dual monitor environment using gnome and nvidia drivers under Ubuntu 8.04 and they are each a separate X session. I do this because one is a monitor and the other is a projector in my living room for movies and such, I don't want anything to span both screens. I use this as a media server of sorts and can access it via my phone and laptop via SSH to manage most things, but this has stumped me. What I am trying to do is load different applications via SSH and be able to specify which X session/monitor it would load on. I could use some help identifying what controls this behavior, even if you can point me in the right direction to where I can read up on this that would be great.

I'd be glad to post any configuration files you may need to help answer this, but I didn't think any would be relevant to the question.

Thanks in advance for anything you can provide.

tl;dr - do you know how to port to monitor 1 or monitor 2 via CLI?

Beans

Re: Specify X-session/monitor via CLI/SSH

export the display you wish to use:

Code:
    export DISPLAY=:0; gedit
    you'll probably need 0:0 or 0:1, but :1 might work as well (can't say for sure, as i don't have a dual monitor)

Beans

Re: Specify X-session/monitor via CLI/SSH

Quote Originally Posted by Tootoot222 View Post
    export the display you wish to use:

Code:
    export DISPLAY=:0; gedit
    you'll probably need 0:0 or 0:1, but :1 might work as well (can't say for sure, as i don't have a dual monitor)
    Thanks! That specific syntax isn't working for me but this helps me a lot with my search terms. Much appreciated.