Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Legal questions about emulators

Beans

Re: Legal questions about emulators

Quote Originally Posted by 569874123 View Post
    Thanks for that interesting post donkyhotay.
    I had no idea things were like that in the US(i assume) :< .
    Any suggestions as to how to get the answers to my questions considering that i live in Portugal? Should i try to contact the ministery of justice from my country?
    Thanks .
    Yes I'm from the USA, and yes sadly that pretty much is the way things are here. I don't know if it's really applicable but the EFF pretty much deals solely with civil liberties in the digital age and is a good source of information. Ultimately though we aren't lawyers and can't really give legal advice.
    Do not be afraid to joust a giant just because some people insist on believing in windmills.
    Free Moonbase Commander remake @ http://code.google.com/p/tether

Beans

I am going to ask DECO(an independent assosiation that defends consumer's rights).
    http://www.deco.proteste.pt/

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by 569874123 View Post
    Thanks for the info.
    From the Nintendo link:

Are Game Copying Devices Illegal?

Yes. Game copiers enable users to illegally copy video game software onto floppy disks, writeable compact disks or the hard drive of a personal computer. They enable the user to make, play and distribute illegal copies of video game software which violates Nintendo's copyrights and trademarks. These devices also allow for the uploading and downloading of ROMs to and from the Internet. Based upon the functions of these devices, they are illegal.
    So any dvd reader is illegal?
    Nope. What is written is written poorly.
    Ex: Sometimes the term of pirate is bundled with a "pirate seller", which sells the pirated stuff. What they say here is: "It is illegal to SELL of copies, of what we got the rights on". It is just purely badly formulated.
    Another note: In 99% of the cases, wares and games that are no longer sell-able instances there is no ways to obtain copies, it is free game(as in big game) to download.

And another point: In the worlds most corrupted country regarding software and laws(USA), there has yet to be any laws banning emulators.
    And per definition, the court case against the pirate bay has yet to actually get a foothold as a actual completed case.
    Last edited by del_diablo; October 3rd, 2009 at 03:38 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12