Thread: No Swap in Ram

Beans

No Swap in Ram

Hi all! My Hardy Heron seems to be accessing the hard drive a lot and tonight I was doing some fairly intense work with Open Office and my computer totally bogged down. Well with CPU usage at 100%, System Monitor told me that there was 0 RAM swap going on. That seems wrong to me. What should I do?

Thanks in advance.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 9.10 Karmic Koala

Re: No Swap in Ram

Quote Originally Posted by DrMilo View Post
    Hi all! My Hardy Heron seems to be accessing the hard drive a lot and tonight I was doing some fairly intense work with Open Office and my computer totally bogged down. Well with CPU usage at 100%, System Monitor told me that there was 0 RAM swap going on. That seems wrong to me. What should I do?

Thanks in advance.
    sudo swapon?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Thanks in advance.
    Swap is only supposed to be used when your ram is getting full, and has nothing to do with cpu usage. When your computer starts to need to use swap you will notice a very serious slow-down as everytime something needs to be loaded into ram, something else needs to be moved from ram to the hard drive (which is a lot slower than ram).
    But if you get close to 100% memory usage and still see no swap usage you may have a problem.

If you have 100% cpu usage, that just means that something is using all of your cpu capacity. The system monitor can tell you which process is using your cpu.

Beans

Fine but what's 'safe'?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Fine but what's 'safe'?
    Exactly what do you mean here? What's safe in what respect?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by jocko View Post
    Exactly what do you mean here? What's safe in what respect?
    No worries. I've got a handle on it now.