Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 210111213 LastLast

Thread: Should Ubuntu merge with Mint?

Beans

Re: Should Ubuntu merge with Mint?

Quote Originally Posted by Bucky Ball View Post
    Hey, maybe Mac and MS should merge, too. Why don't they all merge and that way we have no choice! Sorry, but one silly question without much thought.
    Haha, then Faildows will ruin Mac, which will make Linux the only other choice and then Linux will try to pwn them. Lmao
    My Twitter: http://twitter.com/raprap30
    Follow me!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by phrostbyte View Post
    Actually people seem to get this confused. The gstreamer MP3 decoder and libdvdcss are free software! It's not closed source at all, you can download the source for both. The problem is it's free software in questionable legality (in some countries; especially libdvdcss).
    Yes, but they are still Proprietary/Restricted formats. Not really "Free" as in "Freedom". So they are not in place in the OS until the user puts them there. Mint is up and playing MP3s, while newer users are still reading this page:
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RestrictedFormats

When I talked about the open source problem, I meant the (Mainly Windows) Applications I use, that really has nothing to do with Mint though, because almost all Linux Apps are Open Source. But, hopefully with Ubuntu at the helm of Linux OSes people will start making Apps more Linux Friendly & open source.
    Last edited by FrostyC; October 28th, 2009 at 04:26 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

About the codecs: Canonical is going to make you pay for them from the repos as of 10.10 thanks to the software center :3

So it wouldn't matter if mint and ubuntu merged, to me anyway.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Should Ubuntu take some ideas from Mint?

Quote Originally Posted by mpt View Post
    Do you seriously think the reason Ubuntu doesn’t include those codecs is that we have been “ignoring that fact”?

(And did you know that Mac OS X doesn’t ship with a WMV codec either?)
    It costs $20 (and a lot of confusion) to play mpeg 1 and 2, too

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Quote Originally Posted by Pasdar View Post
    What "Ubuntu" should do is provide more choices during install (maybe an options to select that you're an advanced user),
    Microsoft tried that for Windows 95 until user testing showed that it didn’t work (PDF, p476). The Nautilus developers tried it in version 1.0 but eventually realized that it didn’t work. Microsoft tried it again in Office 2007 until user testing showed that it didn’t work.

or at the very least provide choice between KDE and GNOME.
    I didn’t realize there were still people who seriously think this is a good idea.

Beans

Re: Should Ubuntu take some ideas from Mint?

That's like asking "Should Debain merge with Ubuntu?" No. In my opinion, one of the things that makes Linux great is that developers can learn off of other(or previous) distros. Like the way Linux came from Minix, and Minix came from Unix.(Or something like that.)

Beans

No, why? Those who like Mint can use Mint and ditto for Ubuntu. I think it's ideal to have a few spinoffs adding value that's for various reasons not included in Ubuntu.

With "one" distro trying to be everything for everyone we'll just end up with something that resembles ... Windows.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by jonmartin View Post
    With "one" distro trying to be everything for everyone we'll just end up with something that resembles ... Windows.
    Like ReactOS, lol.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

-Mint contains closed source software and codecs.
    We all love free, open source software, but open source software is not inherently superior in quality to closed source, nor is closed source software always evil or avoidable.
    Whether promoting proprietary formats like thus is good or not is a huge discussion, I think it is not.

But you CAN'T distribute non-libre stuff like that. Mint gets away with it by not being mainstream (distrowatch numbers are the least relevant of all stats). You can't merge mint and ubuntu without getting rid of distribution of these things which are ... forbidden to be redistributed.

The top bar pwns.

Edit: And honestly, compare to five years ago, these things are DEAD EASY TO INSTALL. Even windows requires installation of codecs and flash, and you don't see it being given as a reason for lack of marketshare.
    Last edited by vexorian; November 1st, 2009 at 03:58 PM.
    Xye incredibly difficult puzzle game with minimal graphics. Also at playdeb
    Got a blog: Will Stay Free

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Jaunty Jackalope (testing)

Definitely not...

Ubuntu is HQ.. Mint is an offspring... That would be "incest"...
    Last edited by DonaldJ; March 16th, 2010 at 11:55 PM.

Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 210111213 LastLast