Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: HOWTO: Install a lightweight E17 based Ubuntu (Karmic)

Beans

HOWTO: Install a lightweight E17 based Ubuntu (Karmic)

Here is my procedure for installing an Enlightenment E17 based Ubuntu. This method starts from a minimal command line install, and avoids any unnecessary Gnome baggage. It relies exclusively on the official Ubuntu and Enlightenment repos. For a less lightweight E17 that can be installed after a full Ubuntu install check this other Howto.)

E17 features my favorite user interface of any window manager/desktop environment. Also, E17 is very fast and responsive, and should be good for older computers. On my computer, this OS takes just over 1GB of disk space, and uses 84MB of RAM, as opposed to 4.5GB of disk space and 211MB RAM for a normal Ubuntu installation. You'll use the Alternate install CD for this installation. (The minimal or Server install CDs should work too.)

(Two other good options for E17 based Ubuntu distros are OpenGEU and MoonOS. Advantages for these are live CDs, and ease of installation. Advantages for the method described in this HowTo are less baggage, more control, and a more recent Ubuntu release.)

1. Boot up the Alternate install CD and select "Install command-line system" from the F4 Modes menu. Go through the text-based install. This part should be fairly straightforward, and is a good way to start any lightweight Ubuntu install. (see Distrowatch.com's minimal Xubuntu article) (Using Karmic Beta, I had to "sudo update-grub" after installing in order to get my other OSs to show up in the GRUB menu.)

2. Add in the Enlightenment repo. Add this to the end of your /etc/apt/sources.list
    Code:
    deb http://packages.enlightenment.org/ubuntu karmic main extras
    Then add the key:
    Code:
    wget http://packages.enlightenment.org/repo.key -O - | sudo apt-key add -

sudo apt-get update
    3. Install the software:
    Code:
    sudo aptitude install xorg e17 wicd lxterminal gnome-icon-theme mousepad emodule-places emodule-tclock emodule-calendar unrar rar xarchiver gpicview

sudo aptitude install firefox thunar vlc -R
    xorg and e17 are, obviously, the essential packages for this installation.
    You might want to install ecomorph-e17 instead of e17 for the compiz eye candy.
    wicd for network/wifi management. I would use exalt (package name:emodule-exalt), but I can't get it to work. At all.
    lxterminal as a lightweight terminal program that is significantly better than xterm
    mousepad is my choice for a full-featured, lightweight text editor. scite and Leafpad are two other options
    gnome-icon-theme is necesary in order for the icons in the menus and in Thunar to look right.
    xarchiver is a nice, lightweight program for working with compressed files; rar and unrar are needed for it to work properly
    gpicview is a nice, lightweight picture viewer
    emodule-places, emodule-tclock, and emodule-calendar are just three extra emodules that I really like to use.
    The -R option is important for Firefox. Otherwise it installs piles and piles of gnome-related packages. Another, more lightweight option is to install Chromium.
    thunar is my choice for a full-featured, lightweight file manager
    vlc is, of course, the standard linux media player

Modify this list to suit your needs. Other packages you might want to install:
    abiword: lightweight word processor. It's still a pretty bulky program, so consider using the -R option with aptitude, which will cut the installed size in half.
    galculator: basic calculator program.

4. Get audio working:
    Code:
    sudo nano /etc/group
    then add your username to the audio group.
    Then,
    Code:
    sudo aptitude install alsa-base alsa-oss
    5. Setup SLiM, a lightweight login manager(GDM replacement):
    Code:
    wget http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/pool/universe/s/slim/slim_1.3.0-2_i386.deb
    sudo dpkg -i slim_1.3.0-2_i386.deb
    or for a 64-bit version:
    Code:
    wget http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/pool/universe/s/slim/slim_1.3.0-2_amd64.deb
    sudo dpkg -i slim_1.3.0-2_amd64.deb
    You may want to change the theme or otherwise customize the SLiM login manager. Go here for more info: http://slim.berlios.de/

6. Reboot and setup E17 as it directs you. From a terminal, run alsamixer and unmute/turn up the appropriate things

7. Configure E17. Here are the things I do.
    • Enlightenment can have problems mounting partitions, etc. I get around this by using the Places module and modifying my PolicyKit.conf as described here: http://code.google.com/p/e17mods/wiki/Places (edit /etc/PolicyKit/PolicyKit.conf and add <match action="org.freedesktop.hal.storage.*"><match user="[your user name]"><return result="yes"/></match></match> after <define_admin_auth group="admin"/>. If the file doesn't exist, install policykit.)
    • If you want to disable tap-to-click: http://ubuntuforums.org/archive/index.php/t-875016.html
    • Fix all the missing icons: menu->settings->settings panel->look->icon theme, pick "gnome"
    • You will probably want to modify the alt-tab and window focus behaviors: menu->settings->settings panel->windows->window list and window focus
    • The edge binding settings will probably also need modification: menu->settings->settings panel->input->edge bindings
    • If you want the mac dock-like thingy: menu->settings->shelves->add a shelf and set up its contents with only the IBar. Then, under the advanced settings, select the invisible style.
    • Install a more interesting theme from http://www.e17-stuff.org or http://exchange.enlightenment.org/theme or, my favorite, http://www1.get-e.org/Themes/E17/. Apparently some older themes may not play nicely with your new E17 installation. You can mix and match functional parts of the themes if needed.
    • I used to install usplash, but I can't get it or xsplash to work in Karmic.*

This is all that I do to get my base OS installed. Let me know if there is anything else you would recommend for an E17 based system. Hopefully I can figure out how to get Entrance login manager and a splash screen working and add those things into this howto.

*I finally got usplash to work by doing this and this. Given the current state of usplash and xsplash, I'm going to hold off adding this into the main part of this howto until those packages have stabilized.
    Last edited by kappa962; December 13th, 2009 at 07:12 PM. Reason: updating

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Re: HOWTO: Install a lightweight E17 based Ubuntu (Karmic)

Excellent HOWTO, kappa962. That is a nice light desktop!

I have been doing something similar with a very basic Karmic server install. I'll add a couple of suggestions:

Modules: there are lots of other e17 modules that are useful and work very well. I'd include taskbar, net and mail by default and use them as desktop gadgets (or on a shelf) and also systray (even though it has an annoying minor bug in the current packaged version). On my latest install, I simply installed all the avaiable modules (emodules-all) and, surprisingly, haven't had any problems at all - although I have not tried to load and use them all yet.

I'm not a fan of EFM, the native e17 filemanager, so I install thunar. There was a problem with thunar throwing an error on shutdown on Jaunty Jackalope e17 installs that does not seem to occur now with Karmic.

I second your recommendation of wicd as a superor network manager for e17.

I always install scite as my text editor. It has lots of useful features for marking up code.

I'm experimenting at the moment with lightweight browsers - Google Chromium (from the launchpad repos) is heading my list right now. Much lighter and faster than Firefox (but not as versatile).

I usually install gdm too - but the version now in Karmic is pretty slow and the gdmsetup utility does not work in e17. Still looking for a decent graphical login/display manager.

I certainly agree that some of e17's default settings need changing - window focus being an essential first step. I also get rid of all edge bindings (Settings>Input>Edge Bindings) to stop the virtual desktops sliding around when the mouse hits the edge of the screen.

People do need to be aware that some (most) older e17 themes will not work well without tweaking the "Advanced" settings. In particular, many will need to have the "Widgets" function linked back to the default theme so that the systems dialog displays properly.

My setup (like yours, I believe) is suitable for either a full size machine, a laptop or a netbook. With my netbook install, I make the menu fonts large so that I can see them clearly from a normal viewing distance and keep the desktop pretty clear.

It will be interesting to see whetehr other people have alternative suggestions for apps and modules.
    Aubrey
    Make a difference with Kiva microloans.
    My (new) Arduino and Ubuntu Blog

Beans

Thanks. I've updated the howto in light of your suggestions. Also, I finally got usplash to work, so I added a note on that.

I agree with you about EFM. I really hope that the Enlightenment people are putting some effort into EFM, Entrance(d), and Exalt. If those three things were more usable, it would go a long way towards getting more people using E17.

Beans

For application, I recommend Abiword as a lightweight word processor.

Anyway: thx for this good work, keep it up! Do U think that will this run on P2 300 with 128 MB RAM laptop?
    Being a target means being on the internet. End of line.
    Takedown blog (hungarian)

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by sh4d0w808 View Post
    For application, I recommend Abiword as a lightweight word processor.
    +1 for Abiword! I usually put an e17 desktop over Xubuntu and therefor Abiword (and Thunar) is already installed. Strangely, there has been bug in recent Karmic Xubuntu builds that pulls in the whole OpenOffice suite into an install (but its NOT on the Live CD). OpenOffice sort of defeats the purpose of a "lightweight" distro (although Xfce is getting pretty bloated and slow too, IMO)

Overall, the current (beta) Karmic Xubuntu is a terrible platform for e17. The new GDM and Xsplash are unconfiguarable via the supplied GUIs (they will not unlock or just crash in e17) and they actually take so long to run that the speed of e17 startup is totally masked.

Do U think that will this run on P2 300 with 128 MB RAM laptop?
    On a minimal install (as per the OP), I think it would work. Please let us know!
    Aubrey

Excellent howto. Thanks

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Tux Aubrey View Post
    Overall, the current (beta) Karmic Xubuntu is a terrible platform for e17. The new GDM and Xsplash are unconfiguarable via the supplied GUIs (they will not unlock or just crash in e17) and they actually take so long to run that the speed of e17 startup is totally masked.
    My understanding is that Xubuntu isn't really intended to be lightweight. It's actually heavier than normal Ubuntu in some ways. If you want a lightweight version of Xubuntu, I recommend distrowatch.com's minimal Xubuntu article linked in my howto. With xsplash being so new, I'm expecting things to get a lot better with ease of configuration. For now, I don't have it installed. Usplash is finally working for me, and I'm hoping that subsequent updates will make installation easier.

Beans

On a minimal install (as per the OP), I think it would work. Please let us know!
    I will let U know. I like these old Thinkpads

I've done, here is my desktop:
    http://picasaweb.google.com/sh4d0w80...75770664123106
    Last edited by sh4d0w808; October 11th, 2009 at 10:46 AM.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by sh4d0w808 View Post
    I will let U know. I like these old Thinkpads

I've done, here is my desktop:
    http://picasaweb.google.com/sh4d0w80...75770664123106
    Sweet! What is performance like?
    Aubrey

Beans

Not exactly equal to my expectations, but usable. It was a surprise for me that only 2-3 megs of RAM available after bootup - but it could be an issue of Karmic, not Enlightenment.

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast