Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: HOWTO: Install a lightweight E17 based Ubuntu (Karmic)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: HOWTO: Install a lightweight E17 based Ubuntu (Karmic)

I'd also be interested in some feedback on the above.

Thanks

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Zezu View Post
    Hey everyone.
    Nice job on the install guide. I have 3 issues I am dealing with right now:

3. enlightenment seems to freeze randomly on login. restarting enlightenment fixes the issue, and i dont have any more problems until my next login. any suggestions on where to start with this on?

Thanks all!
    So I figured this one out. The new X-splash screen that shows up when you login was messing up and hanging e17. I figured this out after removing the splash. As a side effect, my login time dropped by a good 10-15 sec. The X-splash is a set loop, so if you have it enabled, your just wasting your time.

To remove X-splash:
    Code:
    mv /etc/gdm/PreSession/Default /etc/gdm/PreSession/Default.disabled
    if something goes wrong, just change it back.

Special thanks for code to Fanf
    http://fanf42.blogspot.com/2009/09/f...10-karmic.html

EDIT:
    Note, this won't remove xsplash from running during boot. It will just stop it from loading after login.
    Last edited by Zezu; November 17th, 2009 at 02:00 PM. Reason: Clarification

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Zezu View Post
    So I figured this one out. The new X-splash screen that shows up when you login was messing up and hanging e17. I figured this out after removing the splash. As a side effect, my login time dropped by a good 10-15 sec. The X-splash is a set loop, so if you have it enabled, your just wasting your time.
    Sweet. It seems like the idea for xsplash is a good one, but it hasn't quite worked out yet. I'm looking forward to the day that it is a little more developed, and better documented. Hopefully for Lucid: http://www.netsplit.com/2009/09/02/making-a-splash/

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by kappa962 View Post
    Sweet. It seems like the idea for xsplash is a good one, but it hasn't quite worked out yet. I'm looking forward to the day that it is a little more developed, and better documented. Hopefully for Lucid: http://www.netsplit.com/2009/09/02/making-a-splash/
    I agree completely. Moving towards xsplash in the coming releases should help with the boot speed. But the current setup of going back to xsplash after login is not necessary for enlightenment.

Looking at the code in /etc/gdm/PreSession/Default , it seems like they were trying to create a visual buffer for the time it takes for your desktop manager to load. As enlightenment is light weight by its nature, this should be about 1-2 sec of time. Thus this splash really isnt needed.

Beans

Hi, great post.

I finally managed to install E17 in my karmic box but when I try to install Entrance it does not found in the repositories?

Any other source apart from CVS to get entrance? Are there any other repositories?

Rgrds,
    ---
    Juanma.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by jmrey View Post
    I finally managed to install E17 in my karmic box but when I try to install Entrance it does not found in the repositories?

Any other source apart from CVS to get entrance? Are there any other repositories?
    Not to my knowledge. The reason I'm doing the hack with rungetty and the .bash_profile script is because I couldn't find a repo with Entrance, and I didn't want to use GDM. If it ever shows up in a repo, I'd love to try it.

Beans

I installed Slim from jaunty packages and it works really fine on karmic

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Darko82 View Post
    I installed Slim from jaunty packages and it works really fine on karmic
    Thanks for posting this. Somehow, I never found SLiM while I was looking for GDM replacements. It's great. I'm planning to update the howto soon to use SLiM instead of the rungetty/bash_profile hack.

EDIT: The howto is now updated.
    Last edited by kappa962; November 20th, 2009 at 01:07 AM.

Beans

great idea, great how to. i installed enlightenment, e17 on my system (ubuntu jaunty) after trying out moonOS in a vm. i installed it using svn, and compiling the dependencies and the main binary manually (though i recently read there's a script that can install via svn for you).

i tried out your recommendation to use wicd, and i'm having trouble with it. It works okay in gnome (except i can't connect to my own encrypted network). In enlightenment, there doesn't appear to be a place for the wicd-client system tray to go. I think i'll have to remove wicd and reinstall nm-applet, and run nm-applet out of a terminal like I was before. enlightenment is pretty useless without being able to connect to the network.
    fictionalphilosophy.org
    Toshiba Laptop U305-S7448. 1.47Ghz Intel DUO core, 2GB of ram.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by meditatingfrog View Post
    i tried out your recommendation to use wicd, and i'm having trouble with it. It works okay in gnome (except i can't connect to my own encrypted network). In enlightenment, there doesn't appear to be a place for the wicd-client system tray to go. I think i'll have to remove wicd and reinstall nm-applet, and run nm-applet out of a terminal like I was before. enlightenment is pretty useless without being able to connect to the network.
    You shouldn't need system tray. The WICD service starts at bootup, before GNOME or E17 are started. As long as you can run the WICD GUI to set it up, it should work. It should also work with encrypted networks. What does it do when you try to log into your network?

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast