Thread: Help updating to Koala

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Help updating to Koala

Hi!
    I just found out about Koala being released on the 29th I just installed ubuntu 9.4 about a month ago (why couldn't I wait and save this trouble?) I want to be able to update every year without trouble. How can I set this up? I couldn't find any other tread that completely answered my question

I want to update the end of the month but I also want to keep my files and apps, as well as themes. I heard I should mount the /home folder on another partition. How should I do this? I also need to know how to use this in the setup.

I will back up what I have on my hard drive, but thankfully most of my files are still on my old XP drive, so this shouldn't be too much trouble. I just want to be able to do this next year, after my documents are all over the drive. My drive will be way too big to back up all my personal folders and replace them every time. I will also test it out with the live CD first.

Just one last question... (in case you didn't notice, I don't know a lot about Linux yet ) Should I update, or reinstall, assuming I keep my home folder?

Any help would be great!
    Last edited by user333; October 2nd, 2009 at 09:51 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Re: Help updating to Koala

Quote Originally Posted by user333 View Post
    Hi!
    I just found out about Koala being released on the 29th I just installed ubuntu 9.4 about a month ago (why couldn't I wait and save this trouble?) I want to be able to update every year without trouble. How can I set this up? I couldn't find any other tread that completely answered my question

I want to update the end of the month but I also want to keep my files and apps, as well as themes. I heard I should mount the /home folder on another partition. How should I do this? I also need to know how to use this in the setup.

I will back up what I have on my hard drive, but thankfully most of my files are still on my old XP drive, so this shouldn't be too much trouble. I just want to be able to do this next year, after my documents are all over the drive. My drive will be way too big to back up all my personal folders and replace them every time. I will also test it out with the live CD first.

Just one last question... (in case you didn't notice, I don't know a lot about Linux yet ) Should I update, or reinstall, assuming I keep my home folder?

Any help would be great!

once karmic is official you will get it (if you want to) with a single click

you can get it even now but it's still beta, so you might want to avoid it

also releases are every 6 months not every year

as for the upgrade/reinstall question upgrade is safe as far as i know, even thought i always reinstall for personal reasons

Beans
    Distro

Yeah, I didn't want to mess with the beta yet. Every 6 months? Wow!

Maybe I will use the built in updater this time, and see if it works.

Thanks!
    Last edited by user333; October 1st, 2009 at 11:32 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

by every months you most possibly mean every 6 months.

that why they are named 9.04 , 9.10 etc
    9.04 : 4th month of 2009
    9.10 : 10th month of 2010

usually they are at .04 and .10, with , i think, just 6.06 having a different time of release
    or i might be mistaken on that last one

Beans
    Distro

That makes sense! I was just wondering that!

Yep. I meant 6 months.