Thread: Elitebook 8530w, ubuntu 9.04, cannot use wireless

Beans

Angry Elitebook 8530w, ubuntu 9.04, cannot use wireless

I believe I installed the required drivers since I can see the networks that are available. However, when I enter my username and password in the authentication window, it just keeps connecting for a few minutes and pops up the authentication window again. It will do the same thing if I try to join a public network that has no password (e.g. library). I never had any problems connecting to these particular network with windows. What problem could that be? How can I check?

Regards,

Philipp

note: Sorry for posting this in the wrong section, I don't know how to delete or move the post now. Here are some details about my wireless connection:

sMobileNet Settings: Setting Values
    SSID: sMobileNet
    Authentication: WPA
    Data Encryption: TKIP
    EAP Type: PEAP (EAP-MSCHAPv2)
    Trusted Root Certification Authorities: Thawte Premium Server CA
    Server Certificate: wireless.ust.hk
    Last edited by zhongguohua88; October 1st, 2009 at 07:14 AM.

Beans

Re: Elitebook 8530w, ubuntu 9.04, cannot use wireless

I just fixed the problem. The default options simply didn't match the network's configuration. Now that I can access the internet using Ubuntu, I won't have to use Windows anymore

Beans

Thumbs down Re: Elitebook 8530w, ubuntu 9.04, cannot use wireless

Awesome.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Re: Elitebook 8530w, ubuntu 9.04, cannot use wireless

How does 9.10 further work for you? I also own an 8530w (although I have absolutely no idea whether they ship all of these with the same hardware) but I'm not really sure yet whether I want to switch to Karmic given all the problems I had with Jaunty ever since installing (just recently I finally got my system working properly, after seeing it randomly freeze for like three months, and I'm afraid I might be back where I started if I install Karmic).