Thread: Netgear WG111v3 connect at boot

Beans

Netgear WG111v3 connect at boot

I have an external USB wifi device (Netgear WG111v3) which I configured based on this guide, http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=732827 It works perfectly on Network Manager. However, it connects only after I login with my username and password.

I want the wireless network connection to connect at the time of boot itself. I know I need to configure the /etc/network/interfaces file. But I don't know the exact configuration to use to setup wireless. As the connection is a WPA2-PSK, do I need to use wpa_supplicant?? If so, what is the configuration I need to use for the wpa_supplicant.conf file??

I am using Ubuntu 9.04 desktop.

Regards,

Arun

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Netgear WG111v3 connect at boot

Does it ask for your details every time if you right-click the Network Manager icon, edit connections and check the "Connect automatically" box?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "Oh, Ubuntu, you are my favorite Linux-based operating system" --Dr. Sheldon Cooper, Ph.D.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by chili555 View Post
    Does it ask for your details every time if you right-click the Network Manager icon, edit connections and check the "Connect automatically" box?
    Yes, the connect automatically box in checked. I am pretty sure it is the /etc/network/interfaces files that needs to be configured. So when the system boots up, the interface will be activated using the ifup command.

I am using rtl8187 driver for my Netgear WG111v3 USB device. I just need the configuration that needs to be put in the /etc/network/interfaces file and the wpa_supplicant.conf file.

Please help..

Beans

Can someone offer a solution, please??

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

This thread will show you how to set up /etc/wpa_supplicant.conf. http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=571188

This thread shows a sample interfaces file. Of course, customize the file using your details. http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=263136

By the way, the stanza in interfaces, auto eth0, tells the system to connect automatically on boot, without the need for 'ifup.'

I don't use WPA myself, so I am fresh out of talent.
    "Oh, Ubuntu, you are my favorite Linux-based operating system" --Dr. Sheldon Cooper, Ph.D.

Beans

Thanks guys, I got my wlan0 to work on bootup. Here are my settings:

/etc/network/interfaces:

Code:
    auto wlan0
    iface wlan0 inet dhcp
    wpa-conf /etc/wpa_supplicant.conf
    /etc/wpa_supplicant.conf

GNU nano 2.0.9 File: /etc/wpa_supplicant.conf

Code:
    ctrl_interface=/var/run/wpa_supplicant
    #ap_scan=2

network={
           ssid="xx"
           scan_ssid=1
           proto=WPA RSN
           key_mgmt=WPA-PSK
           pairwise=CCMP TKIP
           group=CCMP TKIP
           psk=30235b7035esd242d4296d113df12350a461cf66678b121e18168a03d17f08b3a
    }