Thread: VLC Closes unexpectedly

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

VLC Closes unexpectedly

When I am watching videos in VLC (version 0.9.9a Grishenko), the player closes unexpectedly. Its closing is usually associated with an event such as maximizing or manually resizing the window.

I'm running Ubuntu 9.04 on a machine with a 2.0 GHz AMD Athelon XP 2400+, 1 GB of RAM, and an ASUS V7100 PRO 32-bit video card with 128mb of RAM and an nVidia GeForce MX 400 GPU

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Re: VLC Closes unexpectedly

You suggest that you have two graphics cards, or perhaps you mean that the ASUS card has an nvidia chip.

If you do really have two cards available, I suggest you disable one of them in the BIOS if possible, as it may be that the system is being confused by the hardware choice in some way.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by ajgreeny View Post
    You suggest that you have two graphics cards, or perhaps you mean that the ASUS card has an nvidia chip.

If you do really have two cards available, I suggest you disable one of them in the BIOS if possible, as it may be that the system is being confused by the hardware choice in some way.
    Sorry, my wording wasn't too clear. My ASUS card has an nvidia chip.

Beans

Hi sbelz,

Quote Originally Posted by sbelz79 View Post
    When I am watching videos in VLC (version 0.9.9a Grishenko), the player closes unexpectedly. Its closing is usually associated with an event such as maximizing or manually resizing the window.
    Have you tried changing the video output device to something other than default? Often sudden closure of programs like vlc or MPlayer is related to innapropriate video or sound settings. I attach a screenshot to illustrate the section in the preferences that I am referring to. Although I am using a different version of vlc there will be a similar setting in your copy.

All the best,

Andrew
    Attached Images Attached Images
    You think that's air you're breathing now?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by andrew.46 View Post
    Hi sbelz,

Have you tried changing the video output device to something other than default? Often sudden closure of programs like vlc or MPlayer is related to innapropriate video or sound settings. I attach a screenshot to illustrate the section in the preferences that I am referring to. Although I am using a different version of vlc there will be a similar setting in your copy.

All the best,

Andrew
    How do I know the right output setting?

Beans

Hi sbell,

How do I know the right output setting?
    I suspect that you should get best success with the x11 video output, otherwise trial and error will probably have to be your guide I am afraid.

Andrew

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by andrew.46 View Post
    Hi sbell,

I suspect that you should get best success with the x11 video output, otherwise trial and error will probably have to be your guide I am afraid.

Andrew
    I tried x11 and wasn't able to get it to fail. Thanks- I hope it keeps working.

Beans

Hi sbelz,

I tried x11 and wasn't able to get it to fail. Thanks- I hope it keeps working.
    Great news!

Andrew