Distro
    Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

Ubuntu vs OSX - Qualitative

Some qualitative benchmarks for those who're interested

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag..._leopard&num=1

Hope this hasn't been posted before

Beans

Re: Ubuntu vs OSX - Qualitative

we tested out Ubuntu Linux via BootCamp immediately after our testing had wrapped up on Friday.
    Fail. Two paragraphs in, i am done reading this article.

you need to test a $2000 Apple computer vs a $2000 purchased-for-Ubuntu computer. If that means the Ubuntu machine has superior hardware, then so be it.

To put that in perspective, the computer i recently built was $1300 in Ubuntu-friendly parts. the same hardware purchased from Apple would have been $2800. Yes, i checked part-by-part. the $2800 Apple computer actually would have been slightly inferior to the $1300 Ubuntu computer.

or, if you want to be super-fair, then you need to test OS X vs Ubuntu on a desktop purchased without regard for Operating System based only on hardware cost/performance analysis. If either Operating System will not run/install for any reason whatsoever (legal, technical, EULA, etc), then that Operating System loses. done and done.

Otherwise, we are essentially discussing:

durr durr durr Do Ford Engines run better in Ford Vehicles than Honda Engines? and look at me, I can count to elventeen only using my hands and my special place!!! I am Special. Oh, look, my diaper needs to be changed. Can I please write an article for Phoronix.com with my crayons during free time?
    Last edited by earthpigg; September 30th, 2009 at 10:32 AM.
    Semper Fi

My Non-Ubuntu Blog.
    All posts by me are Public Domain.

Beans

Very useful link, thanks OP.

I just read the beginning & then went straight to page 10, for the summary.

Good stuff, the summary looks pretty legit' coming from an Arch on iMac user, with other non-Apple systems in the house also.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by earthpigg View Post
    Fail. Two paragraphs in, i am done reading this article.

you need to test a $2000 Apple computer vs a $2000 purchased-for-Ubuntu computer. If that means the Ubuntu machine has superior hardware, then so be it.

To put that in perspective, the computer i recently built was $1300 in Ubuntu-friendly parts. the same hardware purchased from Apple would have been $2800. Yes, i checked part-by-part. the $2800 Apple computer actually would have been slightly inferior to the $1300 Ubuntu computer.

or, if you want to be super-fair, then you need to test OS X vs Ubuntu on a desktop purchased without regard for Operating System based only on hardware cost/performance analysis. If either Operating System will not run/install for any reason whatsoever (legal, technical, EULA, etc), then that Operating System loses. done and done.

Otherwise, we are essentially discussing:
    True, on hardware that is designed specifically for one of the OS's there is bound to be an advantage.
    They should have got an exact same spec computer to run Ubuntu separately.

Not to mension they are testing a bunch of things i've never heard of.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by random turnip View Post
    True, on hardware that is designed specifically for one of the OS's there is bound to be an advantage.
    They should have got an exact same spec computer to run Ubuntu separately.

Not to mension they are testing a bunch of things i've never heard of.
    indeed.

if Apple hardware grew on trees or if someone routinely gets Apple-manufactured systems for $000.00, then the above article would be relevant.

if Apple hardware does not grow on trees (and i believe it does not. i could be mistaken. please correct me if you have an Apple tree in your back yard that grows computers.), then it is entirely based on idiotic premises.

in my humble opinion.
    Semper Fi

My Non-Ubuntu Blog.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by earthpigg View Post
    You're wrong. Ubuntu (and Linux in general) is not supposed to be hardware-dependent. There is no such thing as a computer built specifically for Ubuntu.

By the way, I don't think havind a 1,8 or 2,8 GHz CPU makes a big difference as far as OS experience is concerned, so your point abot the "Ubuntu machine" having beter hadware specs than a Mac is irrelevant.
    Last edited by Bachstelze; September 30th, 2009 at 10:46 AM.
    「明後日の夕方には帰ってるからね。」

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Bachstelze View Post
    You're wrong. Ubuntu (and Linux in general) is not supposed to be hardware-dependent. There is no such thing as a computer built specifically for Ubuntu.
    The computer i am posting on was built specifically for Ubuntu. I know, because I built it.

Clearly, there is such a thing as a computer built specifically for Ubuntu or this post would not exist.

what do you think the benchmark results of this $1300 i7 Quad 2.6 Ghz with an SSD and 6gb of RAM vs a $1300 computer built specifically for OS X (legally approved by Apple, of course) would be?

edit responding to your edit: and you are, of course, correct that a User Experience preference is User Dependent. I don't see the relevance given the topic of this thread, however. when it comes to hardware/software benchmarking. If you prefer the UI of OS X, then it will be better for you regardless of the hardware or performance involved, and the benchmarking is completely irrelevant to you. This is not a thread about X11/GNOME and apt-get vs Quartz and keeping-your-credit-card-handy.
    Last edited by earthpigg; September 30th, 2009 at 10:56 AM.
    Semper Fi

My Non-Ubuntu Blog.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Bachstelze View Post

By the way, I don't think havind a 1,8 or 2,8 GHz CPU makes a big difference as far as OS experience is concerned, so your point abot the "Ubuntu machine" having beter hadware specs than a Mac is irrelevant.
    Erm... What if I order parts, checking for compatibility, and say "I am building this computer specifically for Ubuntu"?
    La Dânse Macabre.

~ sandandmercury.net | deviantART profile ~

Beans

Just accept Apple for what it is, & Ubuntu for what it is, then look at the run down in the article?

It's not that hard.

Why does this thread have to turn into another boring expose of all of the things wrong with Apple? Like no one here has heard it before.

Can't that stuff be put aside so that whatever is valuable can be gleaned from the article in question? & then discussed on its merits?

Who cares about bias?

What good has bias done anyone?

A clear heart & head is required for clear vision.

Just take the hardware factors into consideration as best you can.
    Last edited by handy; September 30th, 2009 at 10:50 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Sand & Mercury View Post
    Erm... What if I order parts, checking for compatibility, and say "I am building this computer specifically for Ubuntu"?
    I could run Windows on it just as well, so it could as well have been built specifically for Windows. There is no such thing as Ubuntu-specific harware.
    「明後日の夕方には帰ってるからね。」

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast