Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: How do you install Firebird SQL in Ubuntu?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: How do you install a program in Ubuntu?

Quote Originally Posted by hotstovejer View Post
    Don,

That message is telling you that firebird2.0-server-common replaces firebird2-super-server in the repositories. It's apt's way of helping you find what you need, as opposed to depending on you to know the name of every package.

Try this.

Code:
    sudo aptitude install firebird2.0-server-common
    What this will do is install the program you are looking for, as well as any other files (known as dependencies) that the program needs. Try that, and let us know what happens.

Thanks!

Jeremy
    OK..here's the output from that command. As usual, verbose without being informative. Now it's time to go and look to see if there are any new applications that I can run that I didn't have before.... I mean that is the idea of installing something...

don@B1501:~$ sudo aptitude install firebird2.0-server-common
    [sudo] password for don:
    Reading package lists... Done
    Building dependency tree
    Reading state information... Done
    Initializing package states... Done
    Writing extended state information... Done
    The following NEW packages will be installed:
    firebird2.0-server-common
    The following packages will be REMOVED:
    linux-headers-2.6.28-11{u} linux-headers-2.6.28-11-generic{u}
    0 packages upgraded, 1 newly installed, 2 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
    Need to get 511kB of archives. After unpacking 72.9MB will be freed.
    Do you want to continue? [Y/n/?] y
    Get:1 http://us.archive.ubuntu.com jaunty/universe firebird2.0-server-common 2.0.4.13130-1.ds1-5ubuntu1 [511kB]
    Fetched 511kB in 1s (257kB/s)
    (Reading database ... 123192 files and directories currently installed.)
    Removing linux-headers-2.6.28-11-generic ...
    Removing linux-headers-2.6.28-11 ...
    Selecting previously deselected package firebird2.0-server-common.
    (Reading database ... 106891 files and directories currently installed.)
    Unpacking firebird2.0-server-common (from .../firebird2.0-server-common_2.0.4.13130-1.ds1-5ubuntu1_i386.deb) ...
    dpkg: error processing /var/cache/apt/archives/firebird2.0-server-common_2.0.4.13130-1.ds1-5ubuntu1_i386.deb (--unpack):
    trying to overwrite `/usr/share/man/man1/gdef.1.gz', which is also in package firebird2.1-server-common
    dpkg-deb: subprocess paste killed by signal (Broken pipe)
    Processing triggers for man-db ...
    Errors were encountered while processing:
    /var/cache/apt/archives/firebird2.0-server-common_2.0.4.13130-1.ds1-5ubuntu1_i386.deb
    E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)
    A package failed to install. Trying to recover:
    Building dependency tree
    Reading extended state information
    Initializing package states... Done
    Last edited by Don Bowen; October 1st, 2009 at 03:01 AM. Reason: left out output

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by Temposs View Post
    Don,
    You are probably wanting a GUI tool for Firebird SQL, but what you've installed so far only has command line utilities. If you want a GUI tool, the help site https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Firebird2.1 recommends a program called FlameRobin.

To install FlameRobin, go to Applications->Add/Remove. Search for flamerobin. Check it and click Apply a couple times. Then it should get installed and appear in your Applications menu Applications->Programming->FlameRobin.
    Actually, no, I much prefer to work with the command line interface for Firebird. In windows the utility is called ISQL.exe. There are also other ClI utilities that allow creating users and granting rights to different parts of the database. They may well be on here, but I can tell this thread has gone on too long...

I'm beginning to realize that there is no generic way to install something on Linux. Each program seems to have elaborate scripts ... "a great sound and fury..."

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

don@B1501:~$ sudo apt-get install firebird2.1-super
    [sudo] password for don:
    Building dependency tree
    firebird2.1-super is already the newest version.
    0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
    don@B1501:~$

still no icons to click on or programs to run...How can anyone say Firebird is installed?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by Don Bowen View Post

still no icons to click on or programs to run...How can anyone say Firebird is installed?
    If it's a command-line program, then there will not be any icons in your Applications menu.

Right now you have probably 1,000 command-line apps installed on your system, so they're purposely not in your Applications menu

The earlier package you installed has programs, from the listing you gave us:

/usr/bin/gbak
    /usr/bin/gdef
    /usr/bin/gfix
    /usr/bin/gpre
    /usr/bin/qli
    /usr/bin/gsec
    /usr/bin/fbstat
    /usr/bin/isql-fb
    /usr/bin/nbackup

When you run them in the terminal, you don't have to give the /usr/bin/ part.

The screencast "Where did my installed program go?" in my signature shows you how to locate programs associated with a particular package in Synaptic.
    Last edited by 3rdalbum; October 1st, 2009 at 03:33 AM.
    I try to treat the cause, not the symptom. I avoid the terminal in instructions, unless it's easier or necessary. My instructions will work within the Ubuntu system, instead of breaking or subverting it. Those are the three guarantees to the helpee.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

yes, that command was actually useful because it appears to list all the folders that Firebird went to during it's install (if it's actually installed). So far, this list of directories is all the evidence I have that something is installed.
    This is disturbing because the only way I know to get rid of all the files it put in those places your command lists is to.... re-install Ubuntu. Add/Remove programs gives me no options to remove software like this.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Except Firebird, since Firebird doesn't show up in the list of available applications. Of course it's easy to install programs on the "list".

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Actually, no, I much prefer to work with the command line interface for Firebird. In windows the utility is called ISQL.exe. There are also other ClI utilities that allow creating users and granting rights to different parts of the database. They may well be on here, but I can tell this thread has gone on too long...

I'm beginning to realize that there is no generic way to install something on Linux. Each program seems to have elaborate scripts ... "a great sound and fury..."
    If you want to run the equivalent of ISQL.exe in the Linux version, it appears to be called:

Code:
    isql-fb
    Try typing that into the command line. It should work.

There are indeed standard ways to install things on Linux/Ubuntu. You're just not used to it yet. Linux is not Windows. The standard way to install something from the command line is with apt-get. The standard way with a GUI is with Synaptic Package Manager or the Add/Remove program, both of which underlyingly use apt-get anyway.

You can tell which programs you have installed very easily. Simply open System->Administration->Synaptic Package Manager, search for the package you want to know is installed, and if it's checked(or has a filled in green box), then it's installed. Otherwise, it's not installed. If you want to see where the installed files are, right-click on the package, choose Properties, click the Installed Files tab, and look at where the files are located.

These are all very well-principled and standard procedures on Linux/Ubuntu. It just takes some getting used to, and you shouldn't keep trying to fit it into the Windows box, if you want to be successful in Linux.
    Last edited by Temposs; October 1st, 2009 at 03:56 AM. Reason: clarification
    System76 Darter Ultra gen3, 12" Glossy LCD
    Intel Pentium Core 2 Duo, 2.53ghz
    4gb DDR2 SDRAM; 250gb, 7200rpm, SATA HDD
    Intel X4500 Graphics Card

Beans
    Distro

yes, that command was actually useful because it appears to list all the folders that Firebird went to during it's install (if it's actually installed). So far, this list of directories is all the evidence I have that something is installed.
    This is disturbing because the only way I know to get rid of all the files it put in those places your command lists is to.... re-install Ubuntu. Add/Remove programs gives me no options to remove software like this.
    If you want to uninstall Firebird once you've installed it, it is very easy. You just open System->Administration->Synaptic Package Manager and search for the package you want to remove. Click the green box to uncheck the program. Click Apply a couple times and it's completely removed. Very easy and well-principled.

The equivalent from the command line is:

Code:
    sudo apt-get remove firebird-super2.1
    Synaptic basically runs that command when you use the GUI. It's all very standardized. As long as you install things with apt-get or Synaptic Package Manager or Add/Remove, you can also easily remove those programs via the same mechanism.
    Last edited by Temposs; October 1st, 2009 at 03:54 AM. Reason: more info

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Frustration level too high again... time to re-install Ubuntu.

Somewhere, some has installed Ubuntu and Fiebird... (of course, that presumption may be incorrect in itself!)
    Where is the ISQL.EXE program? When I can run that and work with databases, then I'll know Firebird is installed. Until then, it's just wasting space on the HD.

I'll be back later with a fresh install. I'm hoping to imae the two Ubuntu partitions with Norton Ghost so that they can be restored to working order more easily.

Beans
    Distro

Except Firebird, since Firebird doesn't show up in the list of available applications. Of course it's easy to install programs on the "list".
    Firebird doesn't show up on Add/Remove because Add/Remove mostly only shows applications that have a GUI(though there are some exceptions to that, like media codecs). Add/Remove is meant to be the most user-friendly application for computer novices.

For the full list of applications you need to open System->Administration->Synaptic Package Manager. As I've described above, you can do all of your application installation and removal with this as well. Synaptic Package Manager is meant to be the GUI application installer for more computer savvy people and developers and such.

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast