Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: mac or PC - which is better at running linux

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

mac or PC - which is better at running linux

Hi everyone!

I'm thinking of buying a new machine, and I'm wondering what type I should go for.
    I know mac architecture has many advantages, when running on os x, but what about running ubuntu? Do linux run better on mac than "normal" PCs?

Economicaly, it won't matter which I choose, due to weak USD and strong NOK, both types of machine will cost about the same.

Appreciate any help

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Re: mac or PC - which is better at running linux

Macs use Intel x86 architecture so there is no difference any more!

I'd go for a PC as you'll get more bang for your buck (or NOK in this case!)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Are you planning on running Windows 7 or Snow Leopard as well?

If not, kinda silly to pay for an OS you're not going to use. You may be able to find places that will ship you a computer with Ubuntu preinstalled.

I know of system76 and ZaReason off the top of my head, but I don't know about their shipping to Norway
    If the only reason you think your software is better is because it's FOSS, you need to write better software

Beans
    Distro

If you ever want to run OS X, an apple would probably be a better choice. Personally I would choose a non apple pc because you have so much more choice in what you get and just my personal opinion is that OS X isn't really worth the hassle, but to each their own. One tip that I do have that I believe most everyone would agree on in the linux community is to make sure whatever route you go is to get a nVidia graphics card.

Beans

Your dollars will go further if you purchase a PC; however, the Mac tends to have higher-end hardware. Also consider how you plan to use the computer in the future. Think about what software you might need. If you need commercial software such as video editing or PhotoShop, you will find more options available on Mac or Windows.

For me, it would be hard to justify the additional cost if I never planned to use the Mac OS. If you purchase a PC, make sure the vendor is Linux friendly as mentioned before. Many hardware vendors, such as Sony, put propriety hardware and modify standard chipsets enough to where you might have driver problems. This is especially true with notebooks. For Linux, my favorite video chipset is Nivida. Dell and Lenovo come to mind as two companies that pre-install Linux, but there are others of course. Even if your computer comes pre-installed with Windows, knowing that the model has a Linux option is an indication the hardware is compatible.

In the past, I've had the most driver trouble with Video, wireless network cards and webcams. However, I've seen huge improvement with drivers in the last 18 months.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Thanks for all the info, you've been really helpful.

I think I'm gonna settle for a PC, as I'm not going to use os x anyway. Gonna check out Dell, allthough ubuntu has been running pretty flawlessly on my old acer aspire too.

Again, thanks!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Jaunty Jackalope (testing)

If indeed you can get an equivalent mac and PC for the same price, get the mac for sure. They look better, are almost always built better, and can run osx, windows, or linux.

That said, I don't think it really matters too much. Most of the proprietary stuff people need dual-boot systems for (video games, CAD, etc) will run in osx or windows, and almost nothing is osx only. I'd just pick a machine at a price you like and not worry if it's a mac or PC unless you really want OSX.

That said, I crave the adamo http://www.adamobydell.com/
    If you get one, get me one too, and then send it to me in the mail for free =P
    Sharing Wifi Is Caring Wifi {o,o} Ubuntu Community Docs..
    |)__)
    -”-”-
    O RLY?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Buy something ~1 year old off ebay.

Dell's warranty is worthless and you'll end up paying a premium for a new PC which just ain't worth it.
    1 ... Sony VPCJ1, 6Gb RAM, 500Gb SATA - Ubuntu 12.04 LTS
    3 ... Lenovo T61, Core 2 2.0, 4Gb RAM, 128Gb SSD - Ubuntu 12.04 LTS

Beans
    Distro

In my opinion, If I were to purchase a high-dollar mac, I will use it's high dollar operating system. Other than that, It would not think that there would be that major of a difference for average users. However an enthusiast may say otherwise.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Jerold View Post
    Your dollars will go further if you purchase a PC; however, the Mac tends to have higher-end hardware.
    Yuck, no.

From my experience with the lower end Apple hardware:

Mac Mini G4
    iBook G4
    MacBook

I have to disagree with this. Where the G4s had discreet ATi graphics, and it was actually a selling point Apple used back then. When they moved to intel and were hamstrung with the GMA950, the graphics performance was shocking. In some places where I felt better performance with the core 2 duo, I found it was because the CPU was working so hard for the graphics side of everything. When Apple used PowerPC hardware, they may have used bad graphics chipsets, but they were better than the Intel integrated graphics.

Now they use nVidia for their laptop graphics, I can see the benefit, but you can also see better equipped laptops for less. I used to feel that I would have to build my own Tower for home and only buy Apple for my mobile needs, but none of their line goes with how the iBook was, nice and compact, with just enough power to cope. The MacBook may have a screen that's only an inch bigger, but the laptop feels a lot bigger, that's why I replaced my MacBook with a Dell Mini9.
    I'm a PC, and I don't run Windows...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast