Thread: having trouble with dual boot

Beans

having trouble with dual boot

i am in the process of setting up two computers with dual boot of windows xp professional and ubuntu 9.04 and unfortunately ran into a few hickups
    1. after i installed ubuntu i loaded into windows, then back to ubuntu and found that my neatly partitioned drive had decided to leave ubuntu only 2.5 gigs of space. why did this happen and how do i prevent this from happening again?

2. to fix this i deleted ubuntus partition, cut windows back down to half of the drive and reinstalled ubuntu on the rest, leaving 1000 megabytes for a swap area, after restarting my computer, i was presented with the grub loader, now without windows xp professional.
    i have checked and it is still installed. why did this happen and how do i fix it?

i used the instructions here http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=474883 to restore windows to the list, but the instructions seems case sensitive and now when i try to boot windows from the grub list, it simply tells me its an invalid device/command i dont recall which.

this is on a partitioned 80gb drive if that helps in the least

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Beans

Re: having trouble with dual boot

well, simple enough to execute except for two complicating factors.
    1. in live session i cant seem to connect to the internet
    2. in normal ubuntu i cant get the program i just get this
    Reading package lists... Done
    Building dependency tree
    Reading state information... Done
    E: Couldn't find package ms-sys
    yes, i checked off universe. i imagine this has to be done in live session?
    do you know of anyway that doesnt require the use of the internet? i still have both my ubuntu and windows install disks.

but for now its really time to call it a night. hopefully a solution will present itself tomorrow.