Thread: Dell Inspiron 1000 Xubuntu 800x600 Resolution

Beans

Dell Inspiron 1000 Xubuntu 800x600 Resolution

I am new to Ubuntu and Linux - when this notebook crashed under WinXp Home - I decided it was time to see if the grass was really greener. I have been able to get everything that I need to work including my wireless adapter. The one thing that I am having troubel with is getting my screen resolution to 1024 x 768 - right now I am stuck at 800 x 600. I will nto be needing or using 3D or any gaming.

I read so many threads yesterday that my head hurt, there were so many variations. I have the SiS 650 chip set (which is working fine at 800 x 600). I found the an updated Linux driver on the SIS website and down loaded it to my Desktop, but the Hardware Driver app does not find it. I have not tried to hand modify my xconf file, becuase at this point I am not sure what to change.

*-display UNCLAIMED
    description: VGA compatible controller
    product: 65x/M650/740 PCI/AGP VGA Display Adapter
    vendor: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS]
    physical id: 0
    bus info: pci@0000:01:00.0
    version: 00
    width: 32 bits
    clock: 66MHz
    capabilities: pm agp agp-2.0 cap_list
    configuration: latency=0

Any help would be appreciated.

Beans

Re: Dell Inspiron 1000 Xubuntu 800x600 Resolution

Well I finally solved this problem. It was really simple!! I tried manually changing my display settings, no luck. Finally after reading another archived post, I changed my driver in the xorg.conf file to "SiS" from Vesa, rebooted and here we are.

BTW - I have been a Ubuntu user for a little less than 2 weeks and I really like this OS.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Re: Dell Inspiron 1000 Xubuntu 800x600 Resolution

Good to hear you solved it already. I almost thought the days of changing your X configuration were over, but I guess there are still these rare cases. Enjoy your stay! :3 Plenty of great stuff in Ubuntu-land.