Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Kega Fusion now available for Linux (but I can't get it to work)

Beans

Kega Fusion now available for Linux (but I can't get it to work)

Megadrive/Genesis/32X/Mega-CD (and pretty much the vast majority of pre 1995 Sega consoles) emulator Kega Fusion has been released as a pre-compiled binary for Linux. However, when I have downloaded it, it just isn't working, once you click onto the Kega Fusion window, it just segfaults. It is great to see this emulator finally released for Linux. Gerbilsoft has done some excellent work on Gens/GS but it was also nice to see this emulator, which I used extensively on Windows long ago (before I switched to (K)Ubuntu) finally ported to Linux, despite fears from some people that it would never have happened. I can now use Gens/GS and Kega alongside.

Just as an additional note to my problem, I am using this on a 64-bit system, and the Windows version of Kega Fusion used to work, but that now segfaults (different issue).

Any ideas?

Information: http://www.eidolons-inn.net/tiki-index.php?page=Kega

Thanks in advance.

Beans

Re: Kega Fusion now available for Linux (but I can't get it to work)

Kega is one of the few closed source free emulators... hence binary only.

I'll give it a try and report back.

EDIT: Well, it certainly doesn't run well out of the box, but I don't get instant segfaults, either. Compiz needs to be turned off first to stop the picture from flickering wildly, and then it kept crashing when I was trying to configure my joypad. Running it from the terminal stopped the crashing, and then everything looked and ran well, but the CD-audio part of the Sega CD game I was playing (Third World War) would not work... sound effects were working though... this in PulseAudio, by the way. The Linux version does not allow direct from CD play, and I cannot confirm that I made a working image of the disc, so I'm not sure on the sound problem.

This is the a good first effort for Linux, I think. The read me says something like "this is the first (and the last?) version for Linux", so I'm not sure what the future will bring.

Copy of the terminal output I got:
    Code:
    mister7playboy@VGN-NR430E:~/Downloads/Fusion$ ./Fusion
    Gtk-Message: Failed to load module "canberra-gtk-module": /usr/lib/gtk-2.0/modules/libcanberra-gtk-module.so: wrong ELF class: ELFCLASS64
    /usr/lib/gio/modules/libgvfsdbus.so: wrong ELF class: ELFCLASS64
    Failed to load module: /usr/lib/gio/modules/libgvfsdbus.so
    /usr/lib/gio/modules/libgioremote-volume-monitor.so: wrong ELF class: ELFCLASS64
    Failed to load module: /usr/lib/gio/modules/libgioremote-volume-monitor.so
    /usr/lib/gio/modules/libgiogconf.so: wrong ELF class: ELFCLASS64
    Failed to load module: /usr/lib/gio/modules/libgiogconf.so
    Segmentation fault
    mister7playboy@VGN-NR430E:~/Downloads/Fusion$ ./Fusion
    Gtk-Message: Failed to load module "canberra-gtk-module": /usr/lib/gtk-2.0/modules/libcanberra-gtk-module.so: wrong ELF class: ELFCLASS64
    /usr/lib/gio/modules/libgvfsdbus.so: wrong ELF class: ELFCLASS64
    Failed to load module: /usr/lib/gio/modules/libgvfsdbus.so
    /usr/lib/gio/modules/libgioremote-volume-monitor.so: wrong ELF class: ELFCLASS64
    Failed to load module: /usr/lib/gio/modules/libgioremote-volume-monitor.so
    /usr/lib/gio/modules/libgiogconf.so: wrong ELF class: ELFCLASS64
    Failed to load module: /usr/lib/gio/modules/libgiogconf.so
    Segmentation fault
    Last edited by mister_playboy; September 29th, 2009 at 11:36 AM. Reason: added info

Beans

I can confirm the image I made is good. Loading the .bin part of the image makes the game run without CD-audio (but otherwise correctly) in both Linux and Windows. Loading the .cue part of the image makes the game run correctly in Windows, but in Linux the game won't boot.

I'm using the same BIOS, game image, and settings on both platforms.

Beans

I have tried with KWin switched off and on, and the problem remains.

This is about as far as I get. As soon as I click the window, bang - segfault:
    Code:
    (Fusion.exe:2881): Gtk-WARNING **: /usr/lib/gtk-2.0/2.10.0/engines/libqtcurve.so: wrong ELF class: ELFCLASS64

(Fusion.exe:2881): Gtk-WARNING **: /usr/lib/gtk-2.0/2.10.0/engines/libqtcurve.so: wrong ELF class: ELFCLASS64
    Segmentation fault (core dumped)
    From /var/log/message:
    Code:
    Sep 29 19:08:30 TGHE kernel: [ 2893.623402] Fusion.exe[2863]: segfault at ffff8001 ip 00000000ffff8001 sp 00000000ffe8081c error 14
    Sep 29 19:21:03 TGHE kernel: [ 2992.981175] Fusion.exe[2883]: segfault at ffff8019 ip 0000000008181203 sp 00000000f5198180 error 4
    Sep 29 19:21:03 TGHE kernel: [ 3522.834002] Fusion.exe[3012]: segfault at ffff8019 ip 0000000008181203 sp 00000000f5148180 error 4
    Sep 29 19:21:03 TGHE kernel: [ 3742.428534] Fusion.exe[3122]: segfault at ffff8009 ip 00000000f76ca148 sp 00000000fff6c18c error 6 in libc-2.10.1.so[f765c000+151000]
    Sep 29 19:21:03 TGHE kernel: [ 3743.949041] Fusion.exe[3129]: segfault at ffff8009 ip 00000000f7673148 sp 00000000ffc5e4dc error 6 in libc-2.10.1.so[f7605000+151000]
    Truly no idea of what is wrong...
    Last edited by tghe-retford; September 29th, 2009 at 07:30 PM.

Beans

I posted over at the Kega Forums, and Snake advised me that the BIN/CUE problem would be a case-sensitive issue... sure enough, the file extension was .bin for the image, but .BIN in the CUE sheet... make sure they match! Kega couldn't see the files in load screen with the extension .BIN and .CUE, so they have to be called .bin and .cue.

I might also mention the Linux binary is name "Fusion.exe"... doubleclicking tries to extract .exes by default. Rename it to "Fusion" and you can run it with doubleclicking.

So other than the segfault when I try to use my controller (I'm using the keyboard right now), it's all working perfectly for me whether from the terminal or Nautilus.

Link to the Kega forum:
    http://www.eidolons-inn.net/tiki-vie...php?forumId=10

Beans

The "Wrong ELF Class" errors are caused by Kega trying to load 64-bit libraries instead of 32-bit libraries. (Kega's a 32-bit binary.) Unfortunately, I'm not sure how to tell it to load 32-bit libraries instead of 64-bit libraries.

Beans

One related issue in the problem of using BIN/CUE or ISO/CUE in Linux... support for CUE files is very lacking natively. The free Windows program ImgBurn can be used via WINE to make images for Kega Fusion. WINE is even considered by the devs to be an officially supported platform!

Here is their site.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Quote Originally Posted by GerbilSoft View Post
    The "Wrong ELF Class" errors are caused by Kega trying to load 64-bit libraries instead of 32-bit libraries. (Kega's a 32-bit binary.) Unfortunately, I'm not sure how to tell it to load 32-bit libraries instead of 64-bit libraries.
    with getlibs: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...hlight=getlibs
    elementary OS Luna
    My Screenshot

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Artificial Intelligence View Post
    aiming getlibs at the binary reports
    Code:
    This application isn't missing any dependencies
    I also tried
    Code:
    getlibs libcanberra-gtk-module.so libgvfsdbus.so libgioremote-volume-monitor.so libgiogconf.so
    and installed those libs, but running Fusion gives the same errors.
    Last edited by mister_playboy; September 30th, 2009 at 06:28 PM. Reason: added info

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

can you please ldd the binary file and post the output.
    elementary OS Luna
    My Screenshot

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast