Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: is the linux world picking on UBUNTU?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Breezy 5.10

Re: is the linux world picking on UBUNTU?

Dun feel bad guys...

at least we got a better community where new users can learn more as compared to some distros where all users are treated as "professional" users.
    Contact Me
    E-mail/Google Talk/AIM : Jyrenk [at] gmail [dot] com
    MSN : Crazy_jyren [at] hotmail [dot] com
    Blog : www.leonetwork.net

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06

I have decided to migrate to Gentoo. A bit for learning, but mostly for a stable desktop.

Yes.

Stable- gentoo.

Gentoo for me is more stable than ubuntu- In ubuntu automounting not working, nvidia drivers crashing, etc. I would rather do all the work myself and get a working desktop than an easy half one. Bye..

I am stickin around here though! For dapper... And my laptop.

Beans

Us & them, what a drag!

Desiderata

Go placidly amid the noise and haste,
    and remember what peace there may be in silence.
    As far as possible without surrender be on good terms with all people. Speak your truth quietly and clearly;
    and listen to all even to the dull and ignorant; they too have their story. Avoid loud and aggressive people, they are vexations to the spirit.

If you compare yourself to others you will become vain and bitter;
    there will always be greater and lesser persons than yourself.
    Enjoy your achievements as well as your plans.
    Keep interested in your own career, however humble;
    it is a real possession in the changing fortunes of time.
    Exercise caution in your business affairs; for the world is full of trickery. But let not this blind you to the virtue there is; many persons strive for high ideals; and everywhere life is full of heroism.

Be yourself especially do not feign affection.
    Neither be cynical about love;
    in the face of all aridity and disenchantment it is as perennial as
    the grass.
    Take kindly the counsel of the years, gracefully surrendering the things of youth.
    Nurture strength of spirit to shield you in sudden misfortune.
    But do not distress yourself with imaginings.
    Many fears are born of fatigue and loneliness.
    Beyond a wholesome discipline be gentle with yourself.

You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars; you have the right to be here.
    And whether or not it is clear to you, no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should.

Therefore be at peace with God, whatever you conceive Him/Her to be.
    And whatever your labors and aspirations, in the noisy confusion of
    life keep peace with your soul.
    With all its sham, drudgery and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world.
    Be cheerful. Strive to be happy

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Karmic Koala (testing)

Hmm seems there are trolls that pop in and mention "some other distro based on debian" is better because it has "something out of the box that you could download/do with ubuntu anyway".

I'm willing to bet it is just elitism. If you are using a popular distro, it's not "cool" or "niche".

It's like people who like an indie band until they become popular. Then suddenly, said band is no longer interesting.

Anyway, take it with a grain of salt. I'll be interested when someone actually mentions something that ***** linux can do that ubuntu linux cannot.

Between open source, gpl, etc... I doubt anything worthwhile is locked in to ONE distro...
    The idea of copyright did not exist in ancient times, when authors frequently copied other authors at length in works of non-fiction. This practice was useful, and is the only way many authors' works have survived even in part. -- Richard Stallman

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

I think I could install Gentoo without any probs. Their manual is excellent.
    But I have a choice. I have either a choice of 2-3 days compiling Gentoo...
    or 1 day installing Ubuntu and everything I need.

Plus that I don't see how compiling everything makes me know Linux more.. Blindly following the manual, as most gentooers seem to do doesn't make you elite.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

I think it isn't
    is the linux world picking on UBUNTU?
    that implies that all the other distros are in some kind of conspiracy or even that they work together in some concerted way. Really, it's: "Is the Gentoo world picking on the Ubuntu world" or is the "LFS world picking on the Gentoo world" etc... The question itself is a kind of elitism in that it helps promote an US vs. THEM attitude.

I hope I'm not restating the obvious, but Linux is a kernel and Ubuntu and Gentoo are distributions. The bottom line is that distributions just make it easier to use a Linux computer, IF and only if the decisions of that distribution fit in with what you need to do now and are likely to need to do in the future. And, if the distribution's means for making changes work for you.

Every distro has advantages and disadvantages (yes, even Ubuntu ). Gentoo has the advantage of optimizing the software, including the kernel, to the person's specific hardware. One disadvantage is it takes days instead of hours. I would think it is most useful either for those who really need the small increase in speed, or for those who want to learn alot about compiling and troubleshooting compiling errors, etc... They probably could learn more by doing Linux From Scratch, though. Ubuntu is easy to use and can do alot of multimedia quite easily. It isn't as stable as Debian Sarge, though. Debian Sarge, while stable, isn't optimal if you want to use newer, high-tech stuff as you'll probably, at a minimum, have to upgrade the kernel. and so on...and so on.... And these are just some of the differences and reasons to choose one distro over another.

If you know how to do those tasks common to all linux systems, then the differences between distros become your slave not your master. This whole idea of loyalty to one distribution is, to me, elitism.
    Last edited by Pragmatist; February 11th, 2006 at 05:41 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by BoyOfDestiny
    I'm willing to bet it is just elitism. If you are using a popular distro, it's not "cool" or "niche".
    I don't think it's to do with it's popularity, otherwise many of those people wouldn't be using Gentoo.

Beans

Well, I use Gentoo on the side, but for some reason I prefer Ubuntu. Even though Ubuntu doesn't run all the software i need.
    See, the nice thing about Ubuntu is that it has al the adaptability of Linux combined with some(most) of the usability of Windows. It gives me the ability to create a personalized Kernel, but it doesn't force me to. It gives me the ability to solve problems in command line, but it doesn't force me to. Ubuntu is all about giving the ability, but not forcing one to use or learn it.
    Gentoo on the other hand forces someone to learn things which aren't strictly necessary to use a desktop. Why would i want to learn such a thing if I only want to use the desktop? Yes, it does increase my ability to solve problems, yes, it gives me more options, but it also forces me to learn and use them.

Now I don't want to say what kind of distro one should use, but most people want to do the things they want and think of the OS as the necessary scaffolding to be able to do those things. If that's your line of thought, use Ubuntu.
    On the other hand, some people like to tinker with OSes and learn how they work, i.e. they do not think of the OS as scaffolding, but think of it as the thing they want to do. If that's the case with you, Gentoo might be the thing for you.
    If you like both on their own times, dualboot

Also, I remember the scientific programmer at my university. This guy used a HD install of Knoppix everywhere. I once asked him why he used an overweight distro(for his purposes), his answer was because it was easy, fast and simple and he didn't want to spend any more effort in it than strictly necessary. And i say he's damn right

Beans

Is the linux world picking on UBUNTU?

Troll?

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345