Thread: Firefox 3.0 upgrade

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Firefox 3.0 upgrade

I have manually upgraded my FF to 3.5.But the update manager keeps popping out to install FF 3.0 and this is very annoying.
    Please suggest what to do?
    Should I degrade to 3.0?
    If not then whats the method to disallow update manager to pop anytime it wants?

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Firefox 3.0 upgrade

Di you install manually it by downloading from the mozilla bewsite, or by using synaptic package manager? Using th package manager is the preferred method, and IIRC it has firefox 3.5 in it. I'm not sure why it doesn't automatically upgrade it, but if you open synaptic (system menu) you can select and install firefox 3.5. Doing it this way, it shouldn't try to revert to 3.0 the whole time.

Beans

Do yourself a favor, get Ubuntuzilla!!!

Read here, I was having FF issues and now they are all solved!

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1265429

Read the thread and do the steps for Ubuntuzilla. It works fantastic!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by shankhs View Post
    I have manually upgraded my FF to 3.5.But the update manager keeps popping out to install FF 3.0 and this is very annoying.
    Please suggest what to do?
    Should I degrade to 3.0?
    If not then whats the method to disallow update manager to pop anytime it wants?
    If you manually installed Firefox 3.5, then it should be side-by-side with Firefox 3.0. If this is the case (you can launch either 3 or 3.5) then you can safely upgrade 3.0 without losing access to 3.5.

If your Firefox 3.5 has overwritten 3.0, then you should use Synaptic Package Manager to "lock version" on the firefox-3.0 package. This will stop Firefox 3 from being updated.
    I try to treat the cause, not the symptom. I avoid the terminal in instructions, unless it's easier or necessary. My instructions will work within the Ubuntu system, instead of breaking or subverting it. Those are the three guarantees to the helpee.

Beans

Try install 3.5from Synaptic.
    My Firefox 3 comes with ubuntu 9.04,and also has upgrade problems.At last I installed Firfox 3.5 from Synaptic.
    You can first backup your bookmarks from Bookmarks/Organize bookmark/Import and Backup/Export HTML
    ubuntuhandbook.org, yet another blog for ubuntu tutorials, howtos.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

I have totally removed FF3 to install FF3.5.
    Thanx everybody, i think i must first try ubuntuzilla.
    and hey 3rdalbum, what is "locking"?