Thread: Anyone know how to...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Anyone know how to...

...convert Sony's .dvf audio files to something usable without Windows involvement?

A friend sent me a couple of audio files he recorded with his Sony audio recorder and they are in .dvf format. Any converters available to change them into .wav, .mp3, .etc?

Also, anyone use a Sony audio recorder? Other than the obvious Linux incompatibility, are they any good?

Thanks.
    This is a signature. It is original.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Anyone know how to...

Quote Originally Posted by sydbat View Post
    ...convert Sony's .dvf audio files to something usable without Windows involvement?

A friend sent me a couple of audio files he recorded with his Sony audio recorder and they are in .dvf format. Any converters available to change them into .wav, .mp3, .etc?

Also, anyone use a Sony audio recorder? Other than the obvious Linux incompatibility, are they any good?

Thanks.
    Have you tried Audacity?
    "Its easy to come up with new ideas, the hard part is letting go of what worked for you two years ago, but will soon be out of date." -Roger von Oech

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by toupeiro View Post
    Have you tried Audacity?
    Yup. Won't play for me...but I might be missing a codec or plugin. Does Audacity have some type of converter for .dvf?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by sydbat View Post
    Yup. Won't play for me...but I might be missing a codec or plugin. Does Audacity have some type of converter for .dvf?
    I didn't research too deeply, but I did google around for a few minutes and found a few hits of people telling other people to try Audacity. I was just going for a quick win here. Sorry it wasn't too helpful.
    "Its easy to come up with new ideas, the hard part is letting go of what worked for you two years ago, but will soon be out of date." -Roger von Oech

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by toupeiro View Post
    I didn't research too deeply, but I did google around for a few minutes and found a few hits of people telling other people to try Audacity. I was just going for a quick win here. Sorry it wasn't too helpful.
    Well, I'm looking on the Audacity site now for a plugin. If I find one, I'll let everyone know! If not...

Beans

I figured out how to convert these files (DVF) under Linux. It is a pain. My wife bought the Sony ICD-SX46 (Which is no longer under support, and works only on WinXP) a while back. I had to install VirtualBox, Windows XP to extract the files to the HDD, and move them to my main drive under Linux Mint.

At any rate, You will have to go to Sony's Support Page and download the Digital Voice Editor 3, then install it via WINE. Now, it will give some errors (Don't worry) as this program does not work under wine correctly, but that is irrelevant to what we want to do. This program will not have play back capabilities under wine! You will need to locate the folder under the PC dialog window/section, and the file in the dialog section under the PC section. Select the file, when you click on it, it will give an error, just click OK. The file will be highlighted now, click on PC>Convert MP3... (This is the menu area where File, Edit, &c., is located at the top). Let it convert the file, from there you can use audacity to convert it further if needed. The converted file will be located in the same folder as the original.

NOTE: You will need to load the program manually as the link in the menu doesn't seem to work properly. The File is located:
    ./wine/dosdevices/c:/Program Files/SONY/Digital Voice Editor 3/DVEdit.exe
    Update: The Desktop Icon (Shortcut) Seems to work
    Last edited by JMMR; November 10th, 2010 at 11:35 AM.

Beans

Wow! Worked for me! Thanks for the instructions!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release