Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Im old and trying UBUNTU

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Im old and trying UBUNTU

next we will be getting into the "four yorkshiremen" python routine

WE used live in a rolled up newspaper, int middle of the street. My mother would beat us out our beds, then we would have to lick road clean with tongue..........
    (Put on your best Michael Palin yorkshire accent)
    You can tell a man who boozes by the company he chooses, as the pig got up and slowly walked away.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Really ROTFLMAO! ^^^ or alternatively, "anyone for tennis?" .............. BTW a ripe old 54 here seeing as how we're on the subject.

Beans
    Distro

I'm 53 now. Or is it 54?

When I was about 18 I worked at the final mask station in Intel's original fab building in Santa Clara CA. Had to make sure my ponytail was tucked securely inside my bunny suit. We were making microprocessors on little 3" wafers back then, not those huge platters they use now.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by jerrrys View Post
    50? I can't even remember that long ago

and that pocket guide is good reading...
    Amen that was decades ago!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Bartender View Post
    I'm 53 now. Or is it 54?

When I was about 18 I worked at the final mask station in Intel's original fab building in Santa Clara CA. Had to make sure my ponytail was tucked securely inside my bunny suit. We were making microprocessors on little 3" wafers back then, not those huge platters they use now.
    So you weren't here for the bit-slice desktop?
    Where is my old PDP-23 or my Intel MDS-80
    For that matter where is my IMSAI

Days gone by, glad I don't have to toggle in a bit loader to get Ubuntu booted!

Beans

LOL

OK... we are ALL OLD!!!!

Really, like I said before, Im not smart enough yet to tell you all if I am having a problem. The lil things I do run it to (like setting up your ip address) has been found by google...

I just wanted to jump in and get to know you all BEFORE I HAD real problems...

Giddings and Lewis made some CNC controls that could be programmed with paper tape, or (YUK) you could enter each command by hand through 4 little switches.... I always remember E now becuase it is "One less than F"

see you all tomorrow

Jim

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Smile Re: Im old and trying UBUNTU

Quote Originally Posted by ConXtionS View Post
    I am creeping up on the ripe old age of 50 and want to learn about ubuntu.
    Let me start by saying Good on you!
    A lot of people as they get older seem afraid by the challenge of change.

My Grandfather (76) switched to Ubuntu from Windows XP two years ago and honestly hasn't looked back.

He had absolutely no technical computer knowledge (Short of sending basic emails and browsing a few web pages).

He really liked how his old computer would boot up 3 times faster than it did with XP.

He also liked that when new applications (Skype, Firefox, Thunderbird(email)) came out they updated within the OS, he didn't have to go hunting on websites for the correct download.

There were two things he struggled with at first:

1) Openoffice has a terrible UK English spell checker. (I believe this is better now)

2) A friend of his emailed him a WPS file; which is a horrid proprietary file format made by Micro$oft for their "Micro$oft Works" office suit; He couldn't figure out (by himself) how to open the file in linux (I believe I got it to open with AbiWord in the end).

All I can say is keep on trucking with Linux/Ubuntu you'll get the hang of it and when you do... you'll never turn back!

No need for anti-spyware
    No need to defrag
    No great need to run Anti-Virus

Beans
    Distro

I'm 63 and I love Ubuntu. I've installed it, messed it up, fixed it, messed up my master boot record (I don't recommend this), fixed it and the world has not ended. Ubuntu is easier than Windows. It would have been easier had I not learned Windows first. If you already are pretty proficient in windows, just remember, Ubuntu is not windows, and you will speed up the learning curve immensely. One or two books on the subject helps. The forum helps, whether it is looking at another's problem and how they fixed theirs or I post my problem and someone helps me fix it. It does take a little nerve and a willingness to mess with the machine. Don't be afraid of the terminal, but you can do lot's of things without it. What more can I say? Just reading the forums a little helps.

Beans
    Distro

Thread closed. Please do not post in old threads.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456