Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Having some problems. Please help!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Having some problems. Please help!

Quote Originally Posted by pop_n_fresh View Post
    By LiveCD I assume you mean the CD I loaded Ubuntu from, I tried this and looked around but couldn't find Gparted anywhere.

Thanks for everyones help. I've been stressing about this and I'm about to start uni tomorrow. Could do without my laptop not working on top of everything.
    To start Gparted, go to the main menu: System, Administration, Partition Editor (it's now GParted if running Karmic).
    Back to Xorg...

Retired.

Beans

Oh, and do fdisk -l in terminal and post the results here.

Beans

Is the df -h results. I assume this will make sense to someone out here
    Filesystem Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on
    /dev/sda5 2.3G 2.3G 0 100% /

sda5 is probably your installed partition and this tells you it is full at 100%. you have no room to do anything. Gparted live cd is a small os that boots from cdrom, mounts your disks, and can resize or otherwise setup partitions. It isn't your Ubuntu install cd but it works the same way. Go to their website, download it, burn it, and boot from it. Then see if you can adjust (shrink/expand) your partitions.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

If the results look like this:
    Filesystem Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on
    /dev/sda5 2.3G 2.3G 0 100% /
    There is a bug in Jaunty and Karmic in the installation process Step 4 (Partitioning). If you chosse "side by side" with Windows you must adjust the slider on the partition bar at the bottom of the page. If you don't, a default size of approximately 2.5 GB is used. This is not large enough to support a normal Ubuntu installation.
    Here is a pic of the slider, but please go to the posts that provide more detail:
    Step 4 Graphic

With a 2.5GB partition, you have two choices:
    Reinstall and manually select a larger partition size for Ubuntu (Minimum recommended is 8 GB).
    Resize your existing partitions, taking space from Windows or another partition and adding it to Ubuntu's / partition.
    Both can take about the same amount of time, depending on your download speeds when updating the files.

To reinstall and resize the default selection in Step 4:
    2.5 GB System Partition - What Went Wrong?

To expand the existing Ubuntu / partition by taking space from your Windows installation (or another partition):
    Expanding an Ubuntu System Partition

If your partition is larger than 8GB but you don't know why it is full:
    Disk Space Problems & Solutions
    Last edited by drs305; September 27th, 2009 at 04:32 PM.
    Back to Xorg...

Retired.

Beans

You are all generous and loving gods/goddesses.

Thank you.

Beans

There was me thinking it would all be simple. So I've downloaded the GParted .iso and put it on a CD but I don't know how to open it from the CD. It's not exactly obvious. So what do I do?

Sorry about being completely useless.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

There was me thinking it would all be simple. So I've downloaded the GParted .iso and put it on a CD but I don't know how to open it from the CD. It's not exactly obvious. So what do I do?

Sorry about being completely useless.
    Can you use the LiveCD. GParted is available on the LiveCD as well via System, Administration, Partition Editor (or GParted in Karmic).

Is your BIOS set up to boot from a CD before it selects the hard drive? If not, you would have to enter your BIOS during boot (pressing the DEL key or one of the F keys depending on your system) and change it.

Does the Gparted CD boot? If it was burned correctly it should boot to a menu.
    Back to Xorg...

Retired.

Beans

Thank you all for your help. In the end I just reinstalled Ubuntu and got rid of Windows. I don't think I have much use for it anyway

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12