My desktop won't come up automatically now on either of my hard disks I've taken in and out of my computer. As reported in the thread below:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=347778

It does boot but then it just goes to a black screen like a Fullscreen terminal wich asks me for my login and password then goes into a terminal like mode.
Basically it doesnt load the user interface it stays in a fullscreen terminal mode.

I have the same problem, the Ubuntu load up bar thing goes through ok but then instead of getting the desktop user interface (ie with all programs and icons on it), I get the black screen. When I entered my login and password, it said:

“Starting up......loading, please wait
19 + 0 records in
19 + 0 records out

kinit: [a load of technical stuff and a series of numbers]

kinit: no resume image, doing normal boot.....

Ubuntu 9.04 john-desktop tty1
john-desktop login: [I entered it]
Password:
[I entered it]

It then finishes withjohn@john-desktop:~ $

I then tried as r4ik
suggested in the above thread:

sudo apt-get install gdm ubuntu-desktop

Please post back if it works.

It said:
“Reading package lists.....done
Building dependency tree

Reading state information....done

gdm is already the newest version
ubuntu-desktop is already the newest version.

The following packages were automatically installed and are no longer required:

python-pexpect dar libdar64-4 pmount.

Use “apt-get autoremove” to remove them.”

I tried to see if my desktop would load ok, without doing the last instruction. It didn't, so I repeated the operation above and carried out the last instruction but to no avail. The desktop still didn't load and the last thing on the black screen was once again john@john-desktop:~ $

I´d also like to mention that I took one hard disk (using Ubuntu 8.10) out of my normal computer, I put it in my old computer. It booted ALL THE WAY to my desktop, no problem; I successfully upgraded it to Ubuntu 9.04 (I was hoping this would somehow solve the problem, even though on my old machine, it kicked me out several times back to the login, when I used the scroll bar!)

So the situation now is that I can't get to the desktop on either hard disk (the other one is Ubuntu 8.04).

Can anybody help please?