Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: whats going on with karmic development?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

whats going on with karmic development?

I know it is a beta and problems can happen but... so many, almost on every update a new issue, ...

Last one. Last update was going to update all openoffice and it broke it. It was solved with a forced update from terminal to solve dependencies but the upgrade broke it before, why? It is normal I receive a broken upgrade.

A similar thing happened on a dist-upgrade which was supposed to upgrade mysql from 5.0 to 5.1. 5.0 mysql core and server were dropped but mysql 5.1 ones where no installed on that dist-upgrade. To be even more strange 5.0 client was not dropped. So I finished with a system with no server and only client and not upgraded to 5.1. To solve it I had to drop 5.0 client and install 5.1 client, core, server myself.

Update manager crash just almost from a month now, I have to do updates from CLI.

When first suhosin-php was introduced a lot of apache requests were not served.

Some months ago a problem appeared, on boot the system always reported that some files on system partition had a time in future (I did nothing so that could happened just appeared). That finally was solved with a check on that file system but I don't know if that was correct because the files should not be wrong, what was wrong should be some package not working as it should.

Aptdaemon is buggy and crash just on X ini.

And a lot more issues that I cant remember.

And the system itself is not going very smooth. Instead of going better as always happened for me it is going worst and worst. I use ubuntu on this computer because it was really a lot faster than windows but now it is starting to work more as a windows platform than a linux one. Many times the system gets frozen for some seconds because it can't do all its tasks (and those tasks are only the Operating System itself and a web browser, ????)

Flash player gets 100% CPU (well I suppose this is not an ubuntu problem just adobe). But I think it was going much better before (maybe before 10.0 version appeared I don't know exactly).

I repeat I know I'm testing a beta but there are thinks I can't understand. I'm testing ubuntu betas since 5.04 as I can remember and never never had so many issues that on this Ubuntu OS release.

Is it just me that maybe has something broken or someone else is experimenting the same?
    Last edited by manfer; October 3rd, 2009 at 09:28 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: whats going on with karmic development?

If you have problems, this is the wrong place. Moved to Karmic Testing

Beans
    Distro

Sorry but I was not looking for a solution I was only looking for opinions it is just why I posted it on Cafe.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

No major breakage here... Everything going nice and smooth on my end... It's so rock solid, I have actually been using it as the only OS on my laptop since Alpha...

Not sure what you have going on, but it may be something busted on your end causing all the issues...

Quote Originally Posted by manfer View Post
    I know it is a beta and problems can happen but... so many, almost on every update a new issue, ...

Last one. Last update was going to update all openoffice and it broke it. It was solved with a forced update from terminal to solve dependencies but the upgrade broke it before, why? It is normal I receive a broken upgrade.

A similar thing happened on a dist-upgrade which was supposed to upgrade mysql from 5.0 to 5.1. 5.0 mysql core and server were dropped but mysql 5.1 ones where no installed on that dist-upgrade. To be even more strange 5.0 client was not dropped. So I finished with a system with no server and only client and not upgraded to 5.1. To solve it I had to drop 5.0 client and install 5.1 client, core, server myself.

Update manager crash just almost from a month now, I have to do updates from CLI.

When first suhosin-php was introduced a lot of apache requests were not served.

Some months ago a problem appeared, on boot the system always reported that some files on system partition had a time in future (I did nothing so that could happened just appeared). That finally was solved with a check on that file system but I don't know if that was correct because the files should not be wrong, what was wrong should be some package not working as it should.

Aptdaemon is buggy and crash just on X ini.

And a lot more issues that I cant remember.

And the system itself is not going very smooth. Instead of going better as always happened for me it is going worst and worst. I use ubuntu on this computer because it was really a lot faster than windows but know it is starting to work more as a windows platform than a linux one. Many times the system gets frozen for some seconds because it can't do all its tasks (and those tasks are only the Operating System itself and a web browser, ????)

Flash player gets 100% CPU (well I suppose this is not an ubuntu problem just adobe). But I think it was going much better before (maybe before 10.0 version appeared I don't know exactly).

I repeat I know I'm testing a beta but there are thinks I can't understand. I'm testing ubuntu betas since 5.04 as I can remember and never never had so many issues that on this Ubuntu OS release.

Is it just me that maybe has something broken or someone else is experimenting the same?
    Registered Linux User: 433263
    Registered Ubuntu User: 9010

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Karmic Koala (testing)

I've had no issues except the occasional app crashing. Nothing catastrophic though.
    Last edited by NoFearDJB; October 3rd, 2009 at 09:27 PM. Reason: typo

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I see a very minor issue with the raw desktop color bleeding through under the mouse pointer when applications like Synapic are refreshing. The Solar Winds screen saver crashed a couple of times, (only the one screen saver does this). Those are the only problems I am seeing at the moment and they are very minor. Updates have been coming quickly and remaining issues are getting fixed.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I'd say give it another shot come Release Candidate... I agree that there's a flurry of breakages over the last few weeks. been running karmic since alpha 4 or so, and I can't say it was a smooth experience so far, but that's why it's called alpha/beta.
    I do hope they work out the remaining flaws until release candidate, because I can't wait to fully switch to Karmic

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by FrancoNero View Post
    I'd say give it another shot come Release Candidate... I agree that there's a flurry of breakages over the last few weeks. been running karmic since alpha 4 or so, and I can't say it was a smooth experience so far, but that's why it's called alpha/beta.
    I do hope they work out the remaining flaws until release candidate, because I can't wait to fully switch to Karmic
    I agree. I have a little testing machine with karmic... still too soon not to be f***ed up with updates and stuff. I am still eagerly waiting for it, so many great things will come with it, I sense it (aka I hope).

Beans
    Distro

Well, maybe it is only me who has problems with those strange updates. I really don't understand those updates that breaks packages and dependencies.

I understand it is a beta and all other problems will appear but those ones??

I hope next updates would repair the issues on my system.

Could be something broken on my system? I don't know how exactly apt works but it seems very strange those updates breaking dependencies or dropping packages that needs update without installing corresponding updates like what happened with mysql.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Doing a dist-upgrade is not smart. Upgrade (apt-get) or safe-upgrade (aptitude) are the safe choices. If you dist-upgrade (apt-get/aptitude) or full-upgrade (aptitude) you could get yourself into trouble. Read both the man-pages of apt-get and aptitude to understand why.

I did not have any problems with mysql-server packages during the whole karmic alpha/beta stage.
    Last edited by slakkie; October 4th, 2009 at 09:48 AM. Reason: update should have been upgrade
    Upgrade Ubuntu | Upgrade unsupported Ubuntu versions | Always backup | Howto upgrade flash
    Minimal CD install | Remove old kernels | My blog | Linux user #462801 | Conscience doth make cowards of us all. -- Shakespeare

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast