Thread: why the sound from CD-input is mono?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

why the sound from CD-input is mono?

Dear forum members,

Today I (clean) installed Jaunty in the hopes of sorting out the mess I made while trying to get sound from my tv tuner.

This time, the instructions https://help.ubuntu.com/community/HdaIntelSoundHowto helped me get sound from my saa713* tv tuner, which is connected to the soundcard's CD plug using an internal audio cable (the tuner doesn't have line-out). However, the sound is mono, but it should be stereo.

Any idea what could be causing this and what could be done to get stereo sound from the CD? It's the only sound that plays in mono. Please let me know if you need any output from Terminal or any other information that could be useful.

Could I be using the wrong model option for my soundcard in alsa-base.conf? (I'm currently using "6stack-dig, which I think is the right one)

Thanks!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: why the sound from CD-input is mono?

Still unable to get stereo audio from CD. If it makes any difference, I'm only getting sound from the right channel.

I tried several model options in alsa-base.conf, tried another internal audio cable, upgraded to the newest alsa driver - no improvement.

I noticed other people are also having problems with mono audio and it appears they haven't been able to sort them out either...

Any suggestions?
    Last edited by ooli; October 17th, 2009 at 04:55 PM.