Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Gigabyte T1028M collective thread

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Gigabyte T1028M collective thread

OK, first update:
    Module "usbtouchscreen" seems to work best, but until now I did not managed to calibrate.

My steps:
    - Uninstall of xserver-xorg-input-evtouch
    - Install of libts-bin (because of ts_calibrate)
    - Blacklisted module usbhid from loading (sudo echo usbhid >> /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf)

- Then I tried ts_calibrate:
    Code:
    nsk@mini-n:~$ sudo su
    [sudo] password for nsk: 
    root@mini-n:/home/nsk# ll /dev/input/by-id/
    insgesamt 0
    lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 9 2010-05-11 01:31 usb-eGalax_Inc._USB_TouchController-event-if00 -> ../event7
    root@mini-n:/home/nsk# export TSLIB_TSDEVICE=/dev/input/event7
    root@mini-n:/home/nsk# ts_calibrate 
    xres = 1366, yres = 768
    selected device is not a touchscreen I understand
    Took 4 samples...
    Top left : X = -538375268 Y = 16069774
    Took 4 samples...
    Top right : X = -538375268 Y = 16069774
    Took 4 samples...
    Bot right : X = -538375268 Y = 16069774
    Took 4 samples...
    Bot left : X = -538375268 Y = 16069774
    Took 4 samples...
    Center : X = -538375268 Y = 16069774
    -0.215772 0.003475 0.116473
    1.312756 -0.002532 -0.084810
    Calibration constants: -14140 227 7633 86032 -165 -5558 65536 
    root@mini-n:/home/nsk#
    It blames my touchscreen of not being a touchscreen!

...now I have to go to bed

//Edit: Ah, one thing I forgot: I discovered /etc/ts.conf ... interesting file, maybe it is possible to manually adjust the touchscreen there.

Question to the others:
    I have problems with the mousepointer, after most logons it constantly shows the waiting cursor - sometimes not. It has something to do with the touchscreen stuff I am sure about that. S. o. else such behaviour?
    Last edited by nsk7even; May 11th, 2010 at 12:48 AM.

Beans

nsk7even: I tried your method without success. Could you give more details?

Btw, I do not have the 'waiting cursor' phenomenon (using KDE or Gnome).

Beans
    Distro

Yes of course - it was late last time when I wrote the last posting..

I will describe as much as I remember what I have done:

1.) In syslog and/or eGalax driver installation instructions I found out that the kernel modules usbtouchscreen and usbhid are responsible for registering the touchscreen as input device

2.) I wondered if they would interfere with each other

3.) eGalax driver installation instructions gives the description on how to exclude kernel modules from loading at bootup (/etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf)
    And this works ... compare syslog at/after bootup to see different initialization of the touchscreen to verify

4.) With including usbhid and usbtouchscreen into blacklist.conf I tried every possible combination of those modules and xserver-xorg-input-evtouch
    The only combinations I did not test were those with eGalax drivers because they explicitly tell to deactivate the modules

Just to be as clear as possible, I tried:
    a) usbtouchscreen alone
    b) usbhid alone
    c) usbtouchscreen & usbhid
    and additionally all of the above together with xserver-xorg-input-evtouch

Those were the results:
    a) touching the screen places mouse pointer "somewhere" else => different positions on different touches, but at least the mouse pointer did not jump to the corners or edges
    b) touching the screen places mouse pointer exactly in the left upper corner => no differences, everytime the corner
    *) I can't remember the exact differences of c) to the combinations with xserver-xorg-input-evtouch - but every other combinations resulted in worse behaviour than a)
    E. g. placing the mouse pointer at the bottom of the screen, but on different x-positions when touching different places on the screen

5.) So method a) worked best, to sum up xserver-xorg-input-evtouch was deinstalled (I don't know if it made a difference), but more important usbhid was blacklisted from loading

6.) Then I searched for a calibration tool and found ts_calibrate which sits in package libts-bin => installed

7.) ts_calibrate command was available then (together with some other ts_-tools) but none of them worked and quitted with an error message

8.) www and man came up with the environment variable TSLIB_TSDEVICE to set if the device is not recognised by ts_-tools automatically

9.) Either in syslog at initializing the touchscreen or in /dev/input/by-id one can find on which /dev/input/eventX the touchscreen is registered

10.) Store this path to TSLIB_TSDEVICE but do this as root because we need root priviledges for executing ts_calibrate and sudo does not see environment variables stored for the normal user

11.) Then ts_calibrate throws those coordinates and tries to convince our touchscreen of not being a touchscreen

At this stept I went to sleep last time and here I will try to proceed next time (maybe tomorrow)...

As not being a Linux crack, everyone feel free to point me to mistakes or someting like that .... it feels of being nanometers away from the solution!

Beans

nsk7even: thanks for the detailed info. Unfortunately, I am travelling without my netbook, so my own tests will have to wait.

Beans
    Distro

Yeah .. the time went by and I did not managed to proceed with that as well. But I will update any progress here.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Have a read over here for the touchscreen, somebody has done it.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1478877

edit: By the way I have tried and it worked for me, somehow, on a T1028X.
    Last edited by leunvcy; May 26th, 2010 at 09:27 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by leunvcy View Post
    Have a read over here for the touchscreen, somebody has done it.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1478877

edit: By the way I have tried and it worked for me, somehow, on a T1028X.
    How did you get this to work as i cant seem to do it?
    Given that God is infinite, and given that the Universe is infinite... would you like a toasted tea cake?

The best accelerator available for a Mac is one that causes it to go at 9.81 m/s2.

Beans
    Distro

Ah I forgot to reply since I tried this as well and it did not work for me as well!

I have noticed that even pressing on the exact same position on the touchscreen places the pointer to different locations ... understandable that the calibration tool is unable to gather correct values then.

Anyone an idea what could cause this behaviour?
    There is a good possibility that I caused this by installing/configuring around in the system, therefore I reverted everything I can remember. But until now this "jumping" stays the same.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by 11zac11 View Post
    How did you get this to work as i cant seem to do it?
    Actually after a few days of using it I can conclude that I experience the same effect as this person below, from the thread I have referred to. I am still looking into it. Not sure why I can set up the touchscreen on my DIY EEE701 with ease but not this one.

Quote Originally Posted by cywhale View Post
    Hmmm...
    after some days I must correct my last post - the touchscreen seems to work randomly - sometimes from first login after boot, sometimes not, sometimes it stops working after some time again...

With the kernel option mentioned above this also occurs using evdev only (no usbtouchscreen module needed)...

Beans
    Distro

haaaach ... I am thinking about downgrading to Karmic

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast