Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: No audio in Finale 2008

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Re: No audio in Finale 2008

Is this sort of thing an issue with the way I set it up, or is it because wine doesn't have support for this type of application yet?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Try this.

Open up wine, then go to configure wine > open the audio tab > enable OSS driver. You can test the sound from that page (note box to the right). Do you have another program in WINE you can test for sound?

Gustafson

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

I tried the OSS driver, but as soon as finale opens up, it says that "it has encountered a serious error and needs to close..." and so on. I've heard that finale 2007 and 2009 work really well, but 2008 doesn't, so maybe that's the issue. I don't know, I'm kind of out of ideas

Beans
    Distro

Yes. I have Finale 2007 and it does work well.

If you upgrade to 2009, I think you could enjoy improvements made to the process they use to scan in music.... however... I have not heard how well that works in Linux or Ubuntu.

Gustafson

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

I see. The newest they have out currently is finale 2010, and I can upgrade to that for a lot less than buying it separately. Do you know where I can find out if 2010 works well in WINE? If it doesn't, I don't really see a need to upgrade because my current version suits all of my purposes.

Beans
    Distro

The way I found out about 2007... was looking in the WINE forums.

I share your opinion about upgrading. 2007 works fine for me.

Gustafson

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

It may not be a bad idea for me to upgrade to either 2009 or 2010...problem is, I don't have the money to throw at an upgrade currently Unless I can get my current version of finale to work in WINE, I will have to use windows 7...not a bad OS for Microsoft, I must say, but it's still Microsoft

Beans
    Distro

I beta tested windows 7.... and it ran alright....still not as good as Linux...

I built an HD Media PC and it runs well... but I did a little overkill. quad core... hd all in wonder, 2tbs of hardrive, 8 gig ram... however ... it is still windows. I have to make adjustments when updates come out that screw with my pro audio and media center stuff. Currently trying to configure Mythbuntu so I use windows less and less.

If you can deal with making constant adjustments to your virus software, and the bugs in windows.... that will at least get you running in Finale. However, I would suggest a dual boot. Save your work on an external hard drive in hopes that someone will write a patch that helps with Finale in 2008.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Yeah, I used the release candidate of windows 7 for a while and liked it the most out of any windows OS. Since I'm a student, I was able to get the upgrade for 30 dollars, so that was good. I'd rather use linux for everything, but I use finale for 80% of everything, so until I can use it in linux, It's just more convenient to use windows, bugs and all. Windows has more problems, but I understand how to fix them

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

p.s. that sounds like a sweet laptop...did you build it or have the company customize it?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast