Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: MSI WInd U210 AMD Ralink WiFi Card HELP!!!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Karmic Koala (testing)

MSI WInd U210 AMD Ralink WiFi Card HELP!!!

I just bought a MSI Wind U210 AMD MV-40 ultra-portable laptop.

Everything is working great on this sucker... except for the wireless card.

I believe it is a Ralink RT2860. I have scoured the web for any help but it seems like nothing has fixed my problem.

What I'm asking for is some help on getting this wireless card working using ubuntu. This won't only be helpful to me, it'll be helpful to anyone who purchases one of these machines in the future!

Beans

Re: MSI WInd U210 AMD Ralink WiFi Card HELP!!!

I also have an MSI Wind U210 2GB/250GB. Do you have the 1GB or the 2GB? I can't even get 9.04 to boot from USB. I've tried the Desktop x86 and Netbook Remix images, and they'll boot fine on my EEE PC 1000HE, but on my U210 it boots for a while and then drops into busybox and says this:

modprobe: FATAL: Could not load /lib/modules/2.6.28-11-generic/modules.dep: No such file or directory

Loading, please wait...

BusyBox v1.10.2 (Ubuntu 1:1.10.2-2ubuntu7) built-in shell

I'm not sure what I should do about this. Which version of ubuntu are you using?

Beans
    Distro

I got the same exact error when booting all of the versions you tried. I did go back as far as 8.04 and found some success with installing that.

I searched around and found that there are some errors booting 9.04 from usb with some motherboards, and that they are working on it? I think they are at least.

I just can't for the life of me get the wireless to be even recognized.

I have been wanting to attempt to use NDISWrapper but it requires an extracted .exe or something with a .sys file. Every link i have tried to click on has been "error 404"

It seems like everything is a dead end right now...

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by ryman102990 View Post
    I got the same exact error when booting all of the versions you tried. I did go back as far as 8.04 and found some success with installing that.
    I have been wanting to attempt to use NDISWrapper but it requires an extracted .exe or something with a .sys file. Every link i have tried to click on has been "error 404"
    I just started working on getting linux/ubuntu installed on my u210. 9.04 appears to be a no go for me as well. Good to know it is not just me.

I will try 8.04 later tonight or tomorrow morning. I have a driver cd with rt2860.sys files on it (came in box with u210). If I get 8.04 working I will try to ndiswrapper that and report back.

Beans
    Distro

yeah that sounds good. 8.04 should be a pretty easy set up, it didn't have any errors and worked the first try.

definitely let me know how that goes, i'll be trying some stuff too.

the one thing i have heard is that mandriva might have more luck?? i think what i'm going to do is to take mandriva for a spin... i've never used it but hell i'll do anything to avoid vista.

in case anyone is curious about windows 7, i loaded windows 7 x64 onto my 4gb flash drive and installed it in around 15 minutes. it runs real well on this things hardware. wireless works, but the next issue is the webcam and mic...

Beans
    Distro

oh also could post the exact files needed for the drivers on rapidshare or something like that? that would be awesome

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Sorry was running out for dinner.

http://rapidshare.com/files/294331236/rt2860.zip.html
    Should only need the .sys and .inf posted the entire directory any ways.

Now back to installing 8.04.
    Last edited by Odemia; October 17th, 2009 at 08:15 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Ok posting from u210 over wireless.

I used ndisgtk, and it worked flawlessly.

I had to remove the CD line from /etc/fstab. It kept trying to mount the usb drive I was using to transfer the .inf and .sys files as a CD until I removed the line.

I am using Ubuntu 8.04 i386 right now, I am planning on using some proprietary .debs that I know don't work on x86_64. But when I have time I will try making another partition to play around with 64bit installs and upgrading to 9.04. I have feeling upgrading to 9.04 will be of limited use given the lack of fglrx support for the X1250, but I am curious.

Beans
    Distro

congrats man good job. so you're running the 32bit?

btw windows 7 is completely functional if you install the xp drivers etc.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Turns out sound isn't working. And yes currently using 32-bit.

http://pastebin.ca/1580505

Looks like there is a driver/library mismatch. Also have not been able to confirm snd-hda-intel is the right driver to be loading with this chipset.

If I don't get audio working soon I will have to create another thread.

Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast