Thread: Jaunty Jackalope

Beans

Jaunty Jackalope

I am comp sci student with an interest in web based services. This is suppose to be integral to Jaunty Jackalope. I'd like to help out with some of the programming (rather than packaging)

How can I get involved?

(I realize that it's still in planning stages right now, but in general, how can I get involved?)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Re: Jaunty Jackalope

Quote Originally Posted by dopira View Post
    I am comp sci student with an interest in web based services. This is suppose to be integral to Jaunty Jackalope. I'd like to help out with some of the programming (rather than packaging)

How can I get involved?

(I realize that it's still in planning stages right now, but in general, how can I get involved?)
    Take a look at http://launchpad.net - that's where most of the Ubuntu specific development will be based.

However, due to the nature of FOSS, if there's a specific piece of software you're interested in, it is probably worth going through that project's own site / mailing list.

Generally speaking it's best to lurk on a project's mailing list for a while, get an idea of who is who, who does what, and what needs doing. Most people will generally fix a few bugs before they implement a brand new feature (this helps to familiarise yourself with the code), but if the project has a good tracking system (eg: Launchpad), then it's easy to keep up to date with what is under active development, and therefore easier to contribute!

There are no real 'rules' to getting involved - just pick something you want to help out with, and have some fun

It's always worth bearing in mind that just because you do try to help out, it doesn't mean your contribution will ever be used. This is not to sound mean - it's just the way it is really. Don't be disheartened if some (or all?) of your patches get rejected or just plain ignored - remember that the project probably has some momentum already, and if your patch will knock it off course (this is most likely with brand new features), then it's probably going to either be kept back for a while, or just outright rejected. This is just one of the reasons why it's usually best to start small. If you get a reputation for being a good bug fixer / document writer / toast maker, then your more ambitious contributions will carry more weight later on.

Good luck!