Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 64 bit linux clarification

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Re: 64 bit linux clarification

Quote Originally Posted by tuxxy View Post
    You doubt? heh why not try it
    He he, I run 9.04 x64 from an SSD, 8GB RAM and 512MB video - I think I need more though ... maybe 16GB RAM

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 18.10 Cosmic Cuttlefish

Quote Originally Posted by niallabrown View Post
    Just to explain, these are my issues. I have been using the 64 bit Ubuntu install on this machine for a few months. The problems:

Audio cutting out at high levels
    64 bit flash installed but with no sound at all
    Frequent crashes in open office
    Firefox being very slow to load

These problems may be due to the laptop rather than the 64bit OS but I'm not sure.

I am considering trying the 32 bit version to see if the issues persist.

Slower than a typical system running say 2 gigs ram. This miss-communication is why I can't get an answer from the materials I have read. I don't care if the computer is as fast as a 64 bit system if it has problems. I just want it to work properly (if it even is the 64 bit software that is the problem.)

Still confused... Maybe I can put it this way. If I just install the 32bit ubuntu and it did happen to fix these issues, would it run at a decent speed (NOT 64 bit fast but a decent speed like say as if it had 2 gigs ram) or would I face some sort of memory problems that will make it very unnaturally slow... like slower than 2 gigs for example.

And lastly I don't know enough to be able to read what the code is telling me for PAE. Do I need to install that?
    My guess is your audio problem has nothing to do with the OS architecture. There's very few instances where a certain architecture has a problem that a different architecture doesn't. So going from 64bit to 32bit is probably not going to solve the problem.
    Blog | Ubuntu User #15350 | Zsh FTW | Ubuntu Security | Nothing to hide?
    AMD Phenom II X6 1075T @ 3GHz, Nvidia GTX 650, 8GB DDR3 RAM, 1 X 1TB, 2 X 3TB HDD
    Please don't request support via PM

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by foremannz View Post
    He he, I run 9.04 x64 from an SSD, 8GB RAM and 512MB video - I think I need more though ... maybe 16GB RAM
    Son of a bitch!

Damn man, that's some insane hardware which I would LOVE to have, lucky!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Audio cutting out at high levels
    64 bit flash installed but with no sound at all
    Sound issues are perfectly normal in Linux distributions running PulseAudio. So these are probably unrelated to 64bit.

I'm running Ubuntu 9.04 64bit (with 64bit Flash, but without PulseAudio) on a Core i7. No issues at all.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Karmic Koala (testing)

Running 64-bit Jaunty at work. Flash works great, everything works and feels fantastic. No issues whatsoever, no app compatibility issues, etc.

If you have a 64 bit system, I advise you to use a 64 bit OS.

Ironically, I've used 32 bit Ubuntus on my Laptop for 1.5 years now and only last week found out that I have a 64 bit CPU

Beans
    Hidden!

I wan to know if I install 32 bit Ubuntu on this machine will it run slower with 4 gigs than it would if I had 2 gigs ram? This may sound like a stupid question but that is what I am starting to think based on what I have read.

Also are the problems with cutting out audio, crashes and 64 bit flash not having sound at all likely due to the 64 bit distro and software not being as mature?

Thanks
    PAE does have some overhead, but it is usually about 1%. But I think you should consider using 64 bit Ubuntu, because you won't be losing anything (you can still run 32bit apps like skype from medibuntu), only gaining performace in some areas.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by dmglouis View Post
    I am running a 32-bit Ubuntu on a 64-bit capable system with 4GB ram. It's running fine for me. It just sees 3GB of the memory.
    Interesting! What does this return:
    Code:
    cat /proc/cpuinfo && cat /proc/meminfo
    perhaps the ubuntu kernel has pae disabled

I have 64bit fedora installed and I am very happy with it, even though i have <2gb ram. I think there used to be a lot of problems with 64bit but most are now gone, but as you wont be loosing much as long as your kernel+cpu has pae enabled you may aswell give 32bit a try.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I think a lot of you are posting without reading the OP's later posts.

The OP has been running 64-bit Ubuntu and has been having problems with Flash, audio, crashes, slow-starting applications. The OP wants to know if running 32-bit Ubuntu on his 64-bit machine will resolve the problems.

I suspect it won't. The problems sound like hardware issues.

Still, you can install the 32-bit ubuntu and see, can't you? Then you can come back and tell us whether it helped or not.
    "All people are scum. No matter what they look like." ~ Spider Jerusalem, Transmetropolitan #4

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

The 64-bit edition of Ubuntu is exactly the same as the 32-bit edition, but it uses 64-bit processor instructions and memory addresses.

Your Flash problem might be because of the alpha state of the Flash plugin on 64-bit, but it's probably unlikely. You could always try it on a live CD to check, or install a 32-bit browser (outside the repositories) and 32-bit Flash Plugin.
    I try to treat the cause, not the symptom. I avoid the terminal in instructions, unless it's easier or necessary. My instructions will work within the Ubuntu system, instead of breaking or subverting it. Those are the three guarantees to the helpee.

Beans

Thanks dmglouis! I finally have my answer.

That being said many of you think it wont help the problems I have been having by installing the 32 bit Ubuntu. All I can say is it's worth a shot because with the current problems especially flash not having audio (I use flash for my work) the system is making it hard to get my work done.

Thanks for all the help and I will post back when I get a chance to try reinstalling.
    Last edited by niallabrown; September 25th, 2009 at 12:54 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12