Thread: Trying to install Hardy Heron with SCSI attached array

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Trying to install Hardy Heron with SCSI attached array

Hello,

I am trying to install Ubuntu Hardy Heron on my server (Dell 2450) with an attached 1.9 TB Promise array. When I get to the partitioning it sees the external SCSI array as SDA and the drives in the server as SDB. I want to be able to set up the server drives as SDA and the external array as SDB and then partition the server drives with / and swap while putting /home on the external array.

What do I need to do to set the server drives as SDA and the array as SDB?

Any help is appreciated.

Beans

Re: Trying to install Hardy Heron with SCSI attached array

OK...I'm actually the one that posted this. I didn't see that Banditti had logged into the forums on my laptop the other day.

Thanks for any help with this!

Beans

Shouldn't you be setting up arrays/drives using uuids becuase the choice of sda vs sdb vs sdc & etc can be somewhat arbitrary and inconsistant?

Beans

From my readings I understand that UUIDs are used with all versions of Ubuntu since 6.06. I don't know a lot about formatting in Linux and this is the first time I've tried installing with an external array attached. I just don't want Ubuntu booting off my array. I want that to be used strictly for storage. I'm willing to do whatever I need to do to make that happen.

Thanks!

Beans

Look up how to asign the array disks UUIDs, then use mdadm to build an array using those disks choosing appropriate parameters. Then mount the resulting md* device.

I think even if you build from sd* devs, it will probably make uuids for correct disks on build, but google.

Google for details, and you will be able to get going without too much trouble.