3 42.86%
  • leave as dual boot

4 57.14%

Thread: prefer lts

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

prefer lts

just kind of looking for opinions on replacing the current dual boot set up i have of xp pro/xubuntu 9.04 with a clean install of xubuntu 8.04lts on the entire drive?

if i'm doing the linux thing, again, i prefer the long term support offered from 8.04.

does 8.04 runs as sweet as this 9.04 is! as astable?

edit:
    will be used mainly just for browsing, e-mail and cd burning. nothing to tricky!
    i'm not totally inept in linux. have been using it as a dual boot for a few years now.

thank you
    Last edited by missmoondog; September 24th, 2009 at 05:02 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: prefer lts

Quote Originally Posted by missmoondog View Post
    just kind of looking for opinions on replacing the current dual boot set up i have of xp pro/xubuntu 9.04 with a clean install of xubuntu 8.04lts on the entire drive?

if i'm doing the linux thing, again, i prefer the long term support offered from 8.04.

does 8.04 runs as sweet as this 9.04 is! as astable?

thank you
    Depends on what you are trying to achieve from the setup?
    You came empty handed, that is how you shall leave. Whatever you claim as yours today, belonged to someone else yesterday, will be someone else's tomorrow.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

It will also possibly depend on your hardware. Some hardware is much better supported in 9.04 than it was in 8.04. Try live CD of 8.04 and see if everything works; if it does you're OK to install. Wireless and graphics are the most likely to be a problem, followed by sound, but try it out, you've nothing to loose.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Quote Originally Posted by ajgreeny View Post
    It will also possibly depend on your hardware. Some hardware is much better supported in 9.04 than it was in 8.04. Try live CD of 8.04 and see if everything works; if it does you're OK to install. Wireless and graphics are the most likely to be a problem, followed by sound, but try it out, you've nothing to loose.
    i just tried that. after exiting it and rebooting, when i hit the option to boot xubuntu, it just bounces back to that option over and over. i have to enter the menu and pick xubuntu that way. didn't check to see if i messed up my windows boot. (on a different computer now)

how do i fix that now?
    edit:
    fixed. some how the kernel from the 8.04 version got loaded into the mbr. removed it and all is well again.
    Last edited by missmoondog; September 25th, 2009 at 02:35 AM.