Thread: Screen randomly going blank

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Screen randomly going blank

Let me start off by saying I have had nothing but trouble with this newest computer I built. First, the hard drive was bad and had to be replaced. Now that problem is solved, but I finally installed Ubuntu and I keep getting a random blank screen.

When I first built it before I got the new hard drive, and tonight when I was installing Ubuntu the screen would flash but just for a half second about every 2 or 3 minutes. One I got it installed, about 15 minutes later the screen just went blank (a pinkish orange color) and after I restarted it went blank again about 5 minutes later (light blue color). I am just wondering if anyone knows what is going on. If that is not enough information, let me know what else you might need to know.

Thanks
    AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000 3.1 ghz
    8 gb DDR2 800 PC2 6400 RAM
    640 gb Western Digital Caviar
    650 Watt power supply, ATI Radeon HD 4850 X2

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Re: Screen randomly going blank

Rule out hardware issues first.

Are you using a graphics card or integrated graphics?

If you are using a card, carefully remove it and reseat it fully.

Sometimes it's the simple stuff. Like dogs chasing balls behind the machines or kids investigating cool cable thingies and neato green flashing lights.
    Please read The Forum Rules and The Forum Posting Guidelines

A thing discovered and kept to oneself must be discovered time and again by others. A thing discovered and shared with others need be discovered only the once.
    This universe is crazy. I'm going back to my own.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

I'm using integrated graphics, Nvidia Geforce 8300 to be exact. No loose cables either.
    AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000 3.1 ghz
    8 gb DDR2 800 PC2 6400 RAM
    640 gb Western Digital Caviar
    650 Watt power supply, ATI Radeon HD 4850 X2

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Are you using the restricted driver?

Which version?

Have you had the "other" (hack, cough) OS installed and does it do the same?

A thing discovered and kept to oneself must be discovered time and again by others. A thing discovered and shared with others need be discovered only the once.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Quote Originally Posted by psam3 View Post
    Let me start off by saying I have had nothing but trouble with this newest computer I built. First, the hard drive was bad and had to be replaced. Now that problem is solved, but I finally installed Ubuntu and I keep getting a random blank screen.

When I first built it before I got the new hard drive, and tonight when I was installing Ubuntu the screen would flash but just for a half second about every 2 or 3 minutes. One I got it installed, about 15 minutes later the screen just went blank (a pinkish orange color) and after I restarted it went blank again about 5 minutes later (light blue color). I am just wondering if anyone knows what is going on. If that is not enough information, let me know what else you might need to know.

Thanks
    something might be overheating?

Link: Help Vampires? * * * Please Edit First Post Title With "[SOLVED]" When It Is!
    MANDATORY INFORMATION: make, model/build number, OSes, software, accessories
    /customizations/modifications/peripherals/etc...and a DETAILED account of difficulties!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by LewRockwell View Post
    something might be overheating?
    That's my best guess...

Which is why I was wondering if it happened with the "other" OS.