Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best new graphics card for me?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Best new graphics card for me?

I bought a used computer from a friend of mine several months ago. It's been running just fine, but the graphics are a bit slow, and I'd like to replace the video card. The computer is a Dell Precision 650, and the current card is an Nvidia FX 5200.

According to the online specs posted by Dell, my computer has the following available slots:
    • 3 PCI-X 1.0 slots (3.3V)
    • 2 PCI 2.2 slots (one is 3.3V, other is 5.0V)
    • 1 AGP 8x Pro 3.0 slot (1.5V)

Most of the cards I'm seeing on Newegg use PCI Express, something that my computer doesn't have. I don't have enough money to get a whole new computer, so I'd like to know what you guys think is the best Linux-compatible graphics card I can get that will work in my computer. I'd prefer Nvidia, as I've heard that they have better Linux drivers than ATI. As for price, I'd like to keep it less than $150, but I'll pay a bit more if I have to.

-- Nick

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: Best new graphics card for me?

A new motherboard and CPU would be a better way to spend money.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by gordintoronto View Post
    A new motherboard and CPU would be a better way to spend money.
    He said he can't afford a new system. Replacing the motherboard and CPU entails a new video card and RAM, because you're not going to find a worthwhile LGA775 motherboard that can use DDR with an AGP slot.

However, it's the best option in the long run. AGP is dead, DDR is dead, and Socket 604 is also dead.

As for a graphics card upgrade... I'm not sure. You can swing an AGP 7300GT for about $75, but that's absurdly expensive for the performance.

Could also buy a 6200 for around $30-40, which is substantially more powerful than an FX 5200 - But it's still obsolete.

You could also get an ATI HD 3850 for around $90-100, which is a fairly modern card - But it's overkill compared to your CPU, and I've had mediocre experiences with ATI drivers.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by NewlyHuman
    Could also buy a 6200 for around $30-40, which is substantially more powerful than an FX 5200 - But it's still obsolete.
    I found a 6200 on eBay for ~$40, so I think I'll buy that as an upgrade until I have enough money saved up to build a new, modern computer. Thanks for the advice.

-- Nick

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Be careful you do not end up with a 6200 LE or TC. You might get same or worse performance as your 5200.

Beans
    Distro

This is the one I was planning on getting. Any objections?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by bluejeansummer View Post
    This is the one I was planning on getting. Any objections?
    Seconding what Mike'sHardLinux said. 6200 LE/TC models are mostly discontinued, replaced simply by '6200'.

The TC is rather odd - It uses up to 256MB of memory, but only 64MB of that is on the graphics card - The rest is borrowed from your RAM.

The vanilla 6200 has 256MB of onboard memory and, as a newer part, likely performs better.

Beans

The most modern/economical card you can get agp is probably a radeon 4650. Costs maybe $80 for agp version.

On linux it will probably be a great card outside of accelerating hi-def video decode.

If you properly do the ati driver. (Which will build ubuntu *.deb packages for you.)

Beans

Stay clear of ATI cards the drivers are a nightmare

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by tuxxy View Post
    Stay clear of ATI cards the drivers are a nightmare
    Depends on the card you have and how clueless you are.
    Nvidia are somewhat better driver wise, excluding the fact that you have to reinstall them with every kernel update. However, ATI's cards are not as bad as they're made out to be by nearly everyone.

However the card you've chosen is fine, at least in term of being substantially better than what you have now.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast