Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ubuntu netbook remix with external monitor problems

Beans

ubuntu netbook remix with external monitor problems

I recently installed Ubuntu Netbook Remix 9.04 on my Acer aspire one 8.9 netbook. when i mirror the display with an external monitor the external display says "no signal" and the highest resolution option is 800 x 600. whats odd is that if i log out the external display shows the log in page...as soon as i log back in the screen goes black again and says "no signal".

i need help fixing this but i am a very basic user and cannot use the terminal. please help me fix this...i know how to use add/remove and synaptic. just no commands please

thanks!!

Beans

Re: ubuntu netbook remix with external monitor problems

any help?

Beans

solved it on my own by messing around. the external screen will only work if i use the quick key Fn+F5. i dont know why but thats the only way it will work. fine by me

the resolution is still off its stuck at 800X600. i am going to search for a fix to that but if anyone reads this and knows how to do it without using the terminal, that info would be greatly appreciated as well.

Beans

It might be your video driver, on my eeepc the intel driver sucks, but karmic koala will apperently fix this...
    Dell Studio XPS 1645, Intel I7 720QM, 4GB DDR 3 1333, SONY NEC BC-5600S Blu-Ray / dvd drive, ATI 4670

Beans

my driver worked fine with windows all i had to do was raise the resolution. anything i can do in the mean time until koala comes out?

Beans

You could manually install the new intel video driver, search around it has been done.
    Dell Studio XPS 1645, Intel I7 720QM, 4GB DDR 3 1333, SONY NEC BC-5600S Blu-Ray / dvd drive, ATI 4670

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by Fatigoworld View Post
    ...i am going to search for a fix to that but if anyone reads this and knows how to do it without using the terminal, that info would be greatly appreciated as well.
    Eventually you'll have to get your hands dirty and learn to use the terminal. While you might be able to get by without it, you'd be missing out on easily the most capable tool on the entire OS. I know it's daunting at first, but the worst that can happen is you mess things up and have to learn to fix them. What's wrong with learning?

If you'd like, I can get you going in the right direction to fix this problem via the terminal.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by surfed View Post
    You could manually install the new intel video driver, search around it has been done.
    just read some instructions one this followed by this sentence....

"Careful, though: playing with Xorg can have adverse side effects, so backing up the original files might be a good idea."

guess im going to have to wait which is dissapointing because everything is HUGE on my external monitor..

Beans

You remind me of my mum when she said "Dont run you might fall..."

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by surfed View Post
    You remind me of my mum when she said "Dont run you might fall..."
    more like "dont mess with expensive things you know absolutely nothing about." ive had to reinstall countless times after messing things up, im at my wits end and dont want to go through it again. ill stick with bikes where i actually know what im doing.

unless of course someone can tell me how to do it with my little mouse clicker...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast