Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: why does this not exist

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

why does this not exist

I was thinking of that when you have a debugger for bugs why can you not have a unborker for those who bork their systems.

. I am sure that many people could have a use for such invention and that if it was made userfriendly with a gui version and a cli version it would be a great tool that most people would love to have in their linux toolbox.

what do you think.?
    please buy this online only compilation to support victims of japan. http://www.punk4japan.com/

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Re: why does this not exist

They call it a livecd.
    Desktop
    Antec 300 Illusion, Athlon II X4 640, 8GB DDR3 1333, EarthWatts430W, Radeon HD 6670 1GB
    Laptop
    Lenovo Thinkpad Z61T, T7200@2.00GHz, 2GB DDR2, 100gb HD, TPM Encryption

Beans

Isn't that called a backup?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Quote Originally Posted by cmay View Post
    I was thinking of that when you have a debugger for bugs why can you not have a unborker for those who bork their systems.

. I am sure that many people could have a use for such invention and that if it was made userfriendly with a gui version and a cli version it would be a great tool that most people would love to have in their linux toolbox.

what do you think.?
    I think you have a bit strange idea about what a debugger is.

They are not programs that remove bugs. They only help developers to fix the bugs by telling information about what location in the program the crash happened, and reporting data from different variables at the time. It's still up to the developer to figure out what's wrong and how to fix it.

Based on that your "debunker" would pretty much be the log files. They tell you what's wrong so you can fix it.

(I'm sure there would be hundreds of thousands of very happy programmers if somebody actually invented a debugger that would fix the bugs for you.. )

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I was just joking around with the play on the words 'debugger 'and "unborker "... I am aware that a debugger does not remove bugs in a magical fashion.
    please buy this online only compilation to support victims of japan. http://www.punk4japan.com/

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Cool Re: why does this not exist

what do you think.?
    That is the STUPIDEST QUESTION I have ever read...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Am I really the only one that thinks this was very funny

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Am I really the only one that thinks this was very funny
    I almost got it, but before I could stop myself I took off into serious techie sort of thoughts and the humour escaped me, but it did rate a quick visual before I got sidetracked.

An "unborker" ? I can think of a few possible solutions, but nothing all that user-friendly.
    The code is free but the data is priceless.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I think as a commandline app it is user friendly. as example this new command
    Code:
    sudo unbork --ALL

Beans

Union Filesystems are good for this... (requires patching/compiling kernel)

If you bork your system, just reboot and all changes are reverted back to what it was before you mounted the filesystem(s) over your main partitions.

I've been doing this alot with upgrading to Karmic without any persistent/physical upgrade happening.

Regards
    Iain

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast