Thread: Motivation for closing thread.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Question Motivation for closing thread.

I recently had a thread regarding users' opinions and experiences dealing with certain applications from Microsoft. After about three pages my thread was closed by KiwiNZ, without any motivation whatsoever - other than "I would suggest your first decision is to become legitimate and remove the pirated XP"- which had absolutely nothing to do with the thread.

I don't see how the thread was breaking any rules, as I was able to legally obtain copies of all the Microsoft software listed through my university. I was not asking people how to get Microsoft applications for free, or anything of that sort.

To my great surprise, the thread was closed not by just a moderator, but an administrator. One would think that a staff member in that sort of position would at least leave some sort of logical motivation or make a reference to some passage in the rules. But apparently it is not so.

The thread in question can be found here: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...19#post7995619

Beans

Re: Motivation for closing thread.

This is a support Forum for Ubuntu not Microsoft products. Your thread was for Microsoft products only and of doubtful source.

You also admitted you are using a pirated operating system. We do not condone the use of illegal software on these forums. This is stated in the Code of conduct.
    This account is not active.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by KiwiNZ View Post
    This is a support Forum for Ubuntu not Microsoft products. Your thread was for Microsoft products only and of doubtful source.
    But this was in the community cafe, where Microsoft products have been discussed many times before. And what do you mean "doubtful source"? Haven't you heard of Microsoft Developers Network Academic Alliance? If not, perhaps you should read up on it: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/academic/default.aspx

You also admitted you are using a pirated operating system. We do not condone the use of illegal software on these forums. This is stated in the Code of conduct.
    That is true, but it doesn't have anything to do with the thread. It's like if you'd get a parking ticket for littering.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by Nevon View Post
    That is true, but it doesn't have anything to do with the thread. It's like if you'd get a parking ticket for littering.
    It is nothing like getting a parking ticket for littering.

First, the primary purpose for these forums is to support Ubuntu. We are trying to encourage people who need support with other operating systems to use the appropriate venue, this means send the Arch users to the Arch forms and the Fedora users to the Fedora Forums. You are asking for information on Windows Applications and you should be using a windows forum. So your thread could be closed on these grounds alone and you would be told the same thing if the situation was reversed (try asking for Linux support on a Windows forum).

In your case you should seek support from, well ... Microsoft. You can not do this as, by your own admission, perhaps because you do not have a legal copy of or legitimate access to your software. We have no way to confirm this, but that does not mean it is appropriate for you to seek support for potentially pirated software on these forums. This is a second very good reason to close your thread.

I agree with ans support the actions of the staff.
    There are two mistakes one can make along the road to truth...not going all the way, and not starting.
    --Prince Gautama Siddharta

#ubuntuforums web interface

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by bodhi.zazen View Post
    You are asking for information on Windows Applications and you should be using a windows forum. So your thread could be closed on these grounds alone and you would be told the same thing if the situation was reversed (try asking for Linux support on a Windows forum).
    I actually gave a pretty specific reason as to why I was asking at a Linux forum rather than a Windows one. Linux users are generally among the most knowledgeable people in the computer community, and they know about the alternatives to Microsoft's software. Windows users (in general) do not, or at least not to the same extent.

Quote Originally Posted by bodhi.zazen View Post
    In your case you should seek support from, well ... Microsoft. You can not do this as, by your own admission, perhaps because you do not have a legal copy of or legitimate access to your software. We have no way to confirm this, but that does not mean it is appropriate for you to seek support for potentially pirated software on these forums. This is a second very good reason to close your thread.
    I should open a support ticket at Microsoft asking them which of their applications suck, and which are worth freely and legally downloading? Great plan. As for not having legitimate access to your software, that was one of the dumbest assumptions I've heard. If I said, "I'm thinking of buying Xandros. Should I?" Would you close my thread saying: "We have no way of confirming whether or not you posses the money to buy this software, nor do we know if you intend to." It just doesn't make sense. You want some proof? Here you go.

But oh well, it's not the strangest piece of moderation I've seen in this forum so far. I'm actually a moderator over at the biggest youth community in Sweden, and whenever we close a thread or issue a warning, we have to directly cite or refer to a paragraph in the rules, and directly show what part of the rules the thread or post was in violation of. I suppose an unrelated statement, a couple of assumptions and the words "thread closed" are enough here.

Beans

After reading your link above I have reopened your thread. I have posted a note in the thread.

I suggest in future you avoid of mentioning pirated software on these forums. We do not support the pirating of software , period.
    This account is not active.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

After reading your link above I have reopened your thread. I have posted a note in the thread.
    Thank you.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

I removed the tag referring to staff, let's not make this personal.
    There are two mistakes one can make along the road to truth...not going all the way, and not starting.
    --Prince Gautama Siddharta

#ubuntuforums web interface